Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?  (Read 16157 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

Have an Idea for broadstairs you move your ISP/sign up to Vodafone and you have a 30 day cooling off period with them you then move back/sign up to TT on the 14th day that will give you two DLM resets to remove any banding  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »

The whole point I am trying to make about my interleaving is that it should never have been applied in the first place since it was a thunderstorm which caused the errors and DLM did not see it as a wide area event because of my proximity to the French coast. DLM should not be determining wide area events the way it does it is so 1960's. It whould be looking at what is available to detect thunderstorms.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »

Have an Idea for broadstairs you move your ISP/sign up to Vodafone and you have a 30 day cooling off period with them you then move back/sign up to TT on the 14th day that will give you two DLM resets to remove any banding  ;D

Nice idea but am unable to do this as I signed up to renew with TT a couple of months or so ago.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

interleaving I have never heard of getting stuck unlike banding, so there must be a reason DLM isnt switching you back.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:10:35 PM »

so there must be a reason DLM isnt switching you back.

I know what your saying Chry and it says noise, my own line could never handle Fastpath with ISP's which used the Standard DLM profile and most of my 5 years with FTTC it was interleaved for 3 years until G.INP was introduced.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »

My line has handled fast path quite well even after they took G.INP away. The ONLY reason my line has not had a continuous period of very low ES has been thunderstorms which DLM is refusing to acknowledge is the issue and should ignore it. DLM is not fit for purpose in this area. There are plenty of very accurate ways to detect these storms and determine the areas they cover and that is the only way DLM should handle them not by some nefarious algorithm which obviously does not work correctly.

BT have no reason to change any of this stuff and by ISPs point blank refusing to raise the issue nothing will ever get done about it, all they want to do is hide behind their own estimates of line speed and do not care about providing the end user with a proper service.

Come to that the vast majority of ISPs are in the same category, do anything they can to reduce what they have to do to provide a real service. We are left with a 19th century infrastructure to run a 21st century system - it's never going to work as well as it should. I'm sorry to say this is firmly laid at the door of both BT, and the Government should have insisted on 21st century infrastructure.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »

Well Broadstairs I can honestly say that I've never had T/Storm events take my errored seconds above the DLM threshold unfortunately we don't get that many here due to the higher latitude of N54.39 the land temperatures are not high enough to develop into large cumulonimbus clouds.

Now don't take this personally but I think you could have a fight with your own shadow  :-\

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »

Now don't take this personally but I think you could have a fight with your own shadow  :-\

OH dont I know it but I'm not a grumpy old man for nothing.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »

For quite some time, b*cat has had thoughts that b*stairs is just a re-incarnation of Victor Meldrew:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »

For quite some time, b*cat has had thoughts that b*stairs is just a re-incarnation of Victor Meldrew:D

My wife would totally agree with you  ;) In fact some who have known me for years might have said I was the example used when he as created.

Stuart
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:55:37 AM by broadstairs »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »

We could solve this problem completely by sending along Arya Stark to the premises as an Openreach engineer.....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

We could solve this problem completely by sending along Arya Stark to the premises as an Openreach engineer.....

Sorry I had to Google her - I dont watch Game of Thrones....

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »

As I said before , if you can stand the speed reduction you could cap your sync speed enough to reduce the odd bursts of errors that keep hitting you.  e.g. try a cap to say 40Mb/s for about 3 weeks.  I suspect a more modest speed cap might not get rid of the odd thunderstorm impacts enough. In most internet use you won't notice any impact from such a speed cap. Hopefully you will notice things being a bit sharper in response when interleaving is removed.

In the long term TT is not the best ISP for you as they provision on the standard rather the fast DLM profile.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »

Well my support thread on the TT site is getting me nowhere, they point blank refuse to do anything about this cap. It was placed on my line a year ago to try to fix a line fault but failed to do so but they never removed it despite that. I think all I can try now is complaining to the TT CEO again and then maybe OFCOM.

Stuart

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

I remember having a banding issue like this a long time ago at my old address, if I recall I was stuck on 60/20 instead of getting 80/20 which I could've achieved. It was caused by a faulty faceplate filter which I replaced, the one the engineer installed was faulty which caused DLM to intervene. I got no where with them however, then they called a few months later to ask why I rated them bad in the survey after the phone call haha (BT Business at the time).

Fortunately after what must've been a year, DLM apparently reset and I was on a wild open profile, then shortly after that on the normal 80/20 profile. Not sure to this day what caused that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:59:33 AM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything