Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?  (Read 16159 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

I was set to interleaving after quite a large thunderstorm at the end of May, already banded since July/August 2016. Since the 30th May I have been running in the green on MDWS, yes I have had a couple of re-syncs but not to the extent that it should adversely affect me. So is DLM now stuck and should I try to get TT to do something about this? It is very frustrating to be both banded and interleaved when I do see any reason for either.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »

Being green on MDWS does not seem to be sufficient condition for removing interleaving.  I think you need to keep ES per day less than 20-30 for at least 14-15 days.  You seem to have exceeded that a few time since being interleaved.  Most probably due to thunder storms but I would not trust the DLM to recognise that.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »

That's my big issue with DLM, it seems that it has its own way of detecting thunderstorms which dont take account of location. We often get storms on the French coast which can badly affect my connection but probably dont show up as enough of an issue around Kent in general for DLM to recognise it as a problem which should be ignored. There are much better ways of finding out about storms that watching connections over a wide area. This to my mind is a significant issue with the design of DLM but I dont expect BT to do anything about it. Both of those days which shows up as 60+ ES were caused by storms in France or mid Channel and as such should be ignored.

Stuart

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »

Understand your pain I was applied with  interleaving on 25th May due to high error rate. Now getting 3-5 errors a day and interleaving still  not been removed.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:40:31 AM »

Recently I had a bad period of errors resulting in interleave and delay being applied with a very high interleave level. Within a week dlm had removed both and returned my line to fastpath. Sounds stuck based on my experience recently. I suppose the issue will be if the line is in within the expected parameters tt might be much like sky who are relucant to do anything..

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »

I suppose the issue will be if the line is in within the expected parameters tt might be much like sky who are relucant to do anything..

That is my expectation of TT, the line is syncing at a little over 59000kbps so I would expect them to do nothing.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

There isn't a time frame that anyone can say, as it will depend upon your line history - each time the DLM intervenes, then the longer it will take to be removed.
I've been keeping note of how long DLM takes to remove Interleaving on my line.

1st time it took one full day of MTBE Green
2nd time it took 10 days of MTBE Green
3rd time it took 14 days of MTBE Green
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

That's my big issue with DLM, it seems that it has its own way of detecting thunderstorms which dont take account of location. We often get storms on the French coast which can badly affect my connection but probably dont show up as enough of an issue around Kent in general for DLM to recognise it as a problem which should be ignored. There are much better ways of finding out about storms that watching connections over a wide area. This to my mind is a significant issue with the design of DLM but I dont expect BT to do anything about it. Both of those days which shows up as 60+ ES were caused by storms in France or mid Channel and as such should be ignored.

Stuart

It is supposed to take into account location!   I think you may have misinterpreted the term 'wide area'.
How wide a location I'm not sure because it wasn't that specific, but it will be fairly localised at an exchange level.   It will either be DSLAM...... or probably* the element manager at the exchange where the data is analysed. - So with FTTC that will include all DSLAMs in your area.

TBF I don't think it does always seem to detect some events very well, perhaps the percentage used in the algorithm should be lowered.
- See Checking for wide area events.

* As mentioned documentation wasn't specific, but I suspect it is more likely to be element manager than DSLAM.   That would explain why some events occurring at one specific DSLAM could be negated if averaged out over say 20-30 DSLAMs
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »

More in hope than expectation I have opened a thread on the TT forum asking them to get something done about my interleaving not being removed and my banding (now very nearly 12 month old) removed. At least this is a start and if they refuse to do anything I guess it will be a complaint again to the CEO's office.

Stuart

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »

Hi Stuart

Just wondered if say you  moved ISP at some point I guess this would remove the banding?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

Hi Stuart

Just wondered if say you  moved ISP at some point I guess this would remove the banding?

Not easy right now as I took out an 18 month contract about 3 months ago, frankly I doubt it would do any good on the banding and there is not a lot of choice round here, until Virgin Media arrives. Removing the banding wont buy much until G.INP comes back here and I suspect it might take until VM arrives before that happens.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »

Well I said it was a forlorn hope and indeed it is. TT point blank refuse to do anything, they consider my line to be perfectly acceptable as it is. Will consider what I will do later when I have had time to reflect, but I'm not giving up yet - I like a good fight and like to cause trouble for these jobsworths.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »

I think initially I'll go back and complain, which wont get me anywhere, next I'll end up raising this again with the CEO's office which again will go no where, so then left with complaint to OfCOM which again I suspect wont go anywhere but at least I'll make a nuisance of myself.

What I find unacceptable is that TT are saying because I am syncing above their quoted maximum when I renewed my contract they will not do anything, however I have no actual paperwork from them quoting any speeds at all, plus the speed that was mentioned on a webpage when I renewed was below the value I have always obtained. I also notice now BT are even quoting a maximum speed on their adverts well below the potential maximum. If I remember correctly the mention was 55000kbps which according to the BT Wholesale checker is the minimum I should get but I have sync'd at around 59000+ kbps probably 99% of the time and with G.INP when it was on ECI cabinets I was running at just over 70000kbps.

I simply believe that BT and ISPs are now lowering the speeds quoted to deliberately reduce the potential for customers to complain, irrespective of what their line could potentially run at.

Roll on Virgin Media  ;)

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »

probably yes to manage customer expectations, the BT wholesale checker has absolutely no bearing on your contract with talktalk, the estimated speed they gave you at signup does, but that can be anything of their choosing although they tend to use the estimate information provided by BT as a guideline.

So as an example if talktalk estimated 40000kbit sync speed, BTw estimated 60000 and you got 45000, then you got little to back you up on a performance related fault as you still 5000 above what talktalk told you.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »

If you can stand the speed reduction you could cap  your sync speed enough to reduce the odd bursts of errors that keep hitting you.  e.g. try a cap to say 40Mb/s for about 3 weeks.  I suspect a more modest speed cap might not get rid of the odd thunderstorm impacts enough.

From experience I would not notice such a speed cap in ordinary use (speed tests aside) but I would notice your interleaving.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything