Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?  (Read 16174 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: How long should I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »

Openreach will raise a complaint reference with your ISP as they are your provider etc. They usually will pass on findings back to the ISP. I used to get the exec complaints team at sky feeding back the same info that the openreach person had already told me....

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

Well DLM finally intervened last Saturday (after 14 days) to lower interleaving by about 50%, so now running at 59988kbps wit attainable at 74044kbps and around 6db downstream, suspiciously close to the 60000kbps cap. Having also heard nothing from TT despite asking on their forum what was going on I contacted my BT person who replied to say that they have heard nothing back from TT either and have escalated it. I wonder what speed I would get if DLM removed interleaving? Makes me wonder if an ISP can somehow affect maximum speed being allowed on a connection?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »

ISP’s have zero control over any of the DLM parameters.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »

That's what I thought but there seems to be an issue here with my lime which keeps getting it capped despite very low error rates.

Stuart

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 07:41:53 PM »

ISPs can choose the DLM profile, from Speed, Standard and Stable (Openreach naming), so not quite no control.

The max attainable rate calculated while you have FEC+interleaving tends to be higher than what you could actually get.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »

I realise that DLM takes action after a reset, just that two weeks to reduce interleave by 50% with ES rate barely above 20 per day most days seems excessive especially if I have to wait another 2 weeks for the next drop which in my view should be fastpath. I should be back to around 65000kbps which I was originally last year when the removed G.INP from my ECI cabinet.

Stuart

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 04:06:31 AM »

What's actually changed, the INP and delay values? The interleaving depth changing doesn't necessarily indicate very much.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 05:55:43 AM »

From what I can see of DLM in the past 1-2 years on fast path recovery is that on a first incident it will now recover very quickly within 1-2 days, if you waiting 20 days then its probably not a first incident and I agree with openreach that a repeat incident should take longer to recover. More speed is nice, but not when it results in instability.

The issue as I see it is the lack of manual override mechanisms in place rather than the speed of recovery, and of course how quick DLM reacts (often reacts after the event).

In the case of manual override where the customer gives their consent to risk the line been unstable, its fine to go ahead and force the issue, but with automated recoveries the customer has not given their consent to compromise stability which may be of real importance to them.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »

The whole problem with my interleaving was that the line was NOT unstable and had quite reasonable error rates well below the threshold for DLM to take action. However I had a few times quite close together with significant peaks in error rates which were caused by thunderstorms which DLM refused to accept as wide area events, probably because of my geographic location 130 feet up a hill about 800 yards from the Channel in east Kent and these thunderstorms were out in the Channel and on the French coast. It then did nothing to remove interleaving for several months, also ofcourse my line was being capped for speed for over 12 months with no recovery from that. None of this is acceptable and for my circumstances DLM is not fit for purpose.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

I have just had a re-sync and now connecting at 67000kbps so not banded and on fastpath. Now I dont know f this was another reset by BT or just DLM as I had waited over two weeks for DLM to take action again to reduce of remove interleaving and as it had not I emailed my contact in BT again to ask why, so this may be the result and if so will likely go round the DLM loop again for 4+ weeks!

As an aside I got a DSLStats alert email for the re-sync before MDWS has sent anything.

Stuart

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »

As an aside I got a DSLStats alert email for the re-sync before MDWS has sent anything.
Stuart
It's plainly obvious there will be a delay in MDWS sending the mail as you are one user locally that can send the mail immediate whereas MDWS is looking after 200+ users and has to receive and then process it all via various timed processses that delay it by at least 2-3 minutes, not that that matters I would guess...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

It's plainly obvious there will be a delay in MDWS sending the mail as you are one user locally that can send the mail immediate whereas MDWS is looking after 200+ users and has to receive and then process it all via various timed processses that delay it by at least 2-3 minutes, not that that matters I would guess...

Tony I totally understand and did indeed not expect anything different, I only mention it because in the past DSLStats has failed in sending a resync alert by email.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

lol it does happen

banding got removed today what the hell.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »

Just to say now I am getting plagued by caller from TalkTalk wanting to discuss this but they are unable to speak clear and understandable English so I have told TT that in future I will only discuss with a caller in the UK who speaks clear and understandable English! I wonder what will happen now? Is this too much to expect from a UK Company?

Stuart
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]