Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Daily Error Spikes  (Read 15741 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Daily Error Spikes
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »

A windows 10 VBS script to copy and paste into notepad then rename with .vbs extension and set a schedule.

Code: [Select]
set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
oShell.run("Telnet")
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("Open 192.168.1.1 ")
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("{Enter}")
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys"admin"
WScript.Sleep 1000
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("PASSWORD")
WScript.Sleep 1000
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("reboot")
WScript.Sleep 1000
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("exit")
WScript.Sleep 1000
WScript.Sleep 1000
WScript.Sleep 1000
oShell.SendKeys("quit")
WScript.Sleep 1000
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »

Another observation is I was online at the last error burst, I ran speedtests and packet loss tests, all showed no indication of problems.  Which was at odds at the rate the ES was rising.

Pages were failing to load for me, and I had a message saying I'd dropped the ftp connection to my server.  I tried to do a speedtest, but TBB wouldn't load.  I had 3 tabs with the spinning wheel just going round in circles.  The odd thing is that I did a tracert to the BBC which was perfectly fine.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:34 AM »

You two have have had a terrible time with Broadband your sync rate is 70+ Mbps I would be more concerned when your getting 13-18 retrains per day and then become banded you have nothing to worry or complain about.

Ummmm... It's service impacting and renders my connection unusable.   Thats how each time it happened I noticed something odd was going on because the connection was a pile of p00. 
Not much good having a sync speed of 70+Mbps when you cant do anything with it because its dropping packets all over the place.  ???

The first thing I noticed was a message saying that my ftp session to the server had been dropped.   I then tried to open a web-page which failed to load.  I couldn't load this site, the BBC or TBB.   I couldnt even get to do a speedtest because no pages would load.

See graph below from HG612 stats - note average of 22916 Err Secs per day.  See also MDWS showing 35k CRCs per min - that equates to 10's of millions of CRCs per day.   
I think DLM would certainly have something to day about that - or would have done if I hadnt been here at the time to do a manual resync and put a halt to it.   

Same with Chrys - twice this week he also was around to see it happen and put a stop to it or else DLM would sure as hell taken action.  The average bod in the street wouldnt know what to do or have DSLstats running to notice that and end up getting severely penalised. If this is more widespread, then there will be people start to wonder why their speeds have been reduced /banded for no apparent reason.     

In my book that is something wrong.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »

A windows 10 VBS script to copy and paste into notepad then rename with .vbs extension and set a schedule.

Thank you banger, I think I ran across that script earlier when searching.   There was also a openWRT one that I found.   I need to double check the router commands in the script, but it should do the trick nicely :)
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 07:41:57 AM »

You two have have had a terrible time with Broadband your sync rate is 70+ Mbps I would be more concerned when your getting 13-18 retrains per day and then become banded you have nothing to worry or complain about.

Newt haha, what a time to make that comment when my broadband is completely down :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »

Same with Chrys - twice this week he also was around to see it happen and put a stop to it or else DLM would sure as hell taken action.  The average bod in the street wouldnt know what to do or have DSLstats running to notice that and end up getting severely penalised. If this is more widespread, then there will be people start to wonder why their speeds have been reduced /banded for no apparent reason.     

In my book that is something wrong.

In my case it stopped by itself, I didnt want to lose my 74mbit sync and since everything was functioning I left it alone.  However if the ES count got close to the threshold then I would have intervened.  It seems your ES count is a lot higher than mine reached which probably explains why yours was service impacting.  Bear in mind it could be totally unrelated why I got my bursts, I just mentioned it as I had still remembered it when you made your post.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »

>>> I didnt want to lose my 74mbit sync and since everything was functioning I left it alone

Unfortunately as mine continued to rise, I had no alternative. I didn't want to as it meant that I went from 78,841 down to 72,884 but if I hadn't then DLM would have got me resulting in interleaving and a further drop to 68Mbps.

Some odd happened this morning.
At 04:33 there was a short outage at the DSLAM which lasted for 6 mins.
At 04:39 I came back up with a sync speed of 79987.  This is max sync speed and the highest Ive sync'd in many months.  It's not real though as my crosstalker is now up again.

Today for the first time I can remember in well over a year, I dont have that regular 10-11am spike.   However, it looks like it may have shifted to 6-7am.  Too early to tell. 
The outage at the cab indicates possibly something going on.  5 min outage at that time of night is about right for a f/w update or config changes.

-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »

I had a resync at 02:45am this morning for no reason bar a drop in power from 5.7 to 3.5 on up and down and reduction in US snr. now wondering if this was a config change on the eci cab. Will check cab firmware just in case its changed. I seem to have gathered DS snr overhead at around 6.6 which is unusual for my line based on past issues. If the cab config is different I will let you know. I had previously capped the modem so there is gain to be had now but I am tempted to leave the cap in place until perhaps we see the return of g.inp..

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »

I am afraid to say it's happened again Kitz you probably have already noticed it to, something goes mad with your HEC error's would like to help but it's way beyond me.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »

Thanks NS.    It appeared to do its usual thing whereby the daily spike triggered off a large amount of errors. 

I wasn't around at the time it occurred, but when I got back I noticed that web pages were extremely sluggish. 
A quick look at DSLstats showed that the CRCs were running at 20,000 per min and the Err/Secs at about 3,000 per hour.

I did a couple of quick speedtests (attached below).  I was at the time syncing at a full 79987/20000 and you can see how erratic it makes the throughput.
If you look at the pale green line at times throughput is zero, peaking to 11 Mbps for a single thread.   Latency was pretty grim too :(

So I powered down the modem and it came back up at 73Mbps where its been sat ever since.

Now there is one thing that is REALLY odd.   I fully expected DLM to kick in the next morning like it does on previous occasions and apply INP.
But it didn't.   Why it didn't I have no idea.   
The only possible reason I can assume is that sufficient other people are seeing the same thing OR because we'd had really bad thunderstorms that day, it was attributed as a Wide Area Event.

-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »

I doubled checked no T/Storms in your vicinity at that time of day and DLM must have seen a local wide area event at your DSLAM the cause unknown, It's looks promising but lets see only time will tell
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:30:55 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 10:56:53 PM »

We had massive storms here on the 19th.  Granted they may not have been at 11 am when my errors started, but we did in the afternoon.   

It was really weird, I'd got home saw the errors, rebooted the modem, let the cats out and was feeding the fish.   Bluish hazy skies but could feel the static building up in the air. I'd thrown a few tetra sticks in the pond, and as usual Zigs came over and I poured some sticks in my hand as he loves sniffing them.   From out of the blue there was a simultaneous flash bang that made me jump so much the tetra sticks went flying and I spilt them all over the patio.   Both cats were petrified and ran for cover.  Whatever it hit could not have been more than 1/2 mile away.
By 4pm it had escalated to black skies and torrential rain that flooded several areas making some major roads almost impassible.

See here link
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 11:08:06 PM »

your spikes must be really annoying, reporting the fault will be near impossible as if it doesnt happen whilst the engineer is there then they wont recognise it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »

Plusnet aren't interested.   My speed is above the MGAL of 63.1 Mbps

TBH I think them using the Downstream Handback threshold is rather naughty, especially when sync speed at times falls below the BT Openreach range of 80- 69.1

You can see screen cap of my ticket below showing sync of 67.8Mbps which is below the Openreach range, - note how their system highlights in red how Ive fallen below the BT estimates,  but how they conveniently (misuse) the Handback threshold.   
I cba to argue the toss atm, especially when until last week it had been syncing at the full 80Mbps.   It is a PITA though.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »

I am guessing plusnet's view is the engineer will do a RFC compliance test, it will pass, and then will say no fault, which I expect is what would happen.  The JDSU tests dont usually fail when the GEA test passes.

You basically need your line to get worse before anything will be done. Either a sharp sync speed drop to breach the GEA speed thresholds or a service outage like I had.  I guess black sheep will say the same, the fault is in a too early stage where its not "bad enough" to be picked up.

I have always considered the live BTw estimate irrelevant on a fault report, I just look at the estimate given at the point of sale. I know isp's wont always agree with my view, but I push it nevertheless.

You might be better off dumbing it down, instead of saying "I seen a burst of errors at X time", just say the service stopped working at X time, and give examples like web pages timing out, netflix not working etc.  You not lieing saying that as this is what you told us here on the forum.  Your service was non responsive during the error burst. If you say it that way then its in a language tech support understand.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:43:50 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything