Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Daily Error Spikes  (Read 15736 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Daily Error Spikes
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

About a year or so a several of us noticed that we would see high error spikes at certain times of the day, each and every day.   Mine was always at around 10-11am   Is anyone else's line still continuing to display this behaviour?

The reason I ask, is that although my spike continues it has got a lot worse..  and for the past week on 3 occasions would have triggered DLM if I hadn't been around to notice it and reboot my router.

The usual 10-11am burst now seems to trigger CRCs and ErrSecs, but unlike previously now requires a resync to stop the errors from continuing to rack up.

Prior to last week my line had sat quite happily at 4.8dB, until on Jul 4th I noticed that it was becoming difficult to surf.  A quick look at DSLstats showed that ErrSecs were starting to rack up from 10am.    I performed a manual reboot.
Same on the 7th @ 09:56, but I noticed it sooner.
Again this morning @ 10:02 I noticed that pages were failing to load and sure enough the Err Secs had started racking up.

Without doubt on all 3 occasions if it wasn't for my prompt action, then the Errors would continue and DLM would take action the next day.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Daily Error Spikes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »

I have the same on my line kitz it seems around 9-11pm, it was usually small, but for 2 nights in a row this week it made dslstats send me alerts.  So you should be able to see it on MDWS.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »

I have the same on my line kitz it seems around 9-11pm, it was usually small, but for 2 nights in a row this week it made dslstats send me alerts.  So you should be able to see it on MDWS.

So you do.   I had a suspicion that I may not be the only one, which is why I asked. I wonder what they are doing to have caused this.   
The smaller blip has always been there and the time may vary from cab to cab.  I dont know what happens at that particular time of day, but something appears to cause an increase in errors.  iirc Ive also seen some people on Huawei cabs get the slight spike too. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »

You could set the Modem to auto reboot say at 10:30am each day just in case your not in to manually reboot the modem it's not ideal just a thought.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »

Good suggestion NS thanks.

Unfortunately I dont seem to have that option though in my Zyxel router :(
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »

With a constantly running system (OS not critical but I think in terms of Unix/Linux) attached to the modem/router and the modem/router using a Broadcom chipset with access to the Busybox shell, then an automated task could be set up to log into the modem/router, once per 24 hours, and issue a "reboot" command.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »

I had thought I may have to do some sort of batch file/script and get windows to run it as an automated task.   
Not done any digging yet though on how to setup a telnet script.
-----

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

This is the easiest way to set such a cron job  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »

Having just seen another thread rise back to the top has made me go hmmmm.

Now it has been released to BT, they look to be putting it through their acceptance tests, to try to break it.

It does seem rather odd that 3 times this week my errors have shot through the roof.  Chrys has also seen it twice.
Now Im not sure what causes that smaller regular daily spike, but its been observed on an awful lot of lines.  Whilst times may differ at various cabs, it does seem to be some sort of daily routine.

So why are the errors now going crazy?
Is it any co-incidence that Openreach reported in the past that G.INP on the ECI cabs caused increased error rates.  :hmm:
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »

This is the easiest way to set such a cron job  :)

hahah..  like it :D
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »

What I don't understand is why a reboot of the modem halts the errored seconds if it were a line fault those errored seconds would still be there even after a modem reboot.

If I do my basic fault finding I would test with another Modem with same specification and see if this issue still happens.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »

I don't believe it is a line fault.   The daily error spike seems to set off the Err Secs, which dont stop until I force a new retrain.
The effect is not dissimilar to how a line can sometimes go noisy after a power outage or a new disturber joins the cab, and then requires some downtime for things to settle.   

The reason I started this thread is I wondered if anyone else was getting the same thing.  I believe Chrys uses a different modem to me.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »

Are you saying the fault lies on all ECI cabinets due to upcoming G.INP implementation ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:46:03 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Another observation is I was online at the last error burst, I ran speedtests and packet loss tests, all showed no indication of problems.  Which was at odds at the rate the ES was rising.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »

You two have have had a terrible time with Broadband your sync rate is 70+ Mbps I would be more concerned when your getting 13-18 retrains per day and then become banded you have nothing to worry or complain about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4