Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quiet line test?  (Read 9520 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Quiet line test?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »

Took us 6 weeks to fix a voice fault. 4 visits and on the last one the fault was detected at the exchange. Prior to a card being replaced in the exchange we had been told we were being charged for wasted visits. I recall the second visit the engineer was on site for 9 minutes then left as no fault...
We had a consistent crackle but something to do with the cards could change your voice port so at times we would end up on another card and the fault would go.
In the end after raising several complaints, it was like pulling teeth as remote tests should no fault. The thing that helped the  most was I recorded the crackles which the engineeer acknowledged on the last visit was clearly something somewhere so well worth doing. I should have done it the first time round. Internet was not affected regardless how crackly it got.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »

I'm still trying to sort this voice line fault out.

I'm in the process of testing all my internal setup.

I have 3 main internal devices that I'm testing and/or replacing. The modem (hg612), the router (asus rt-n66u), and a power strip.

My phone setup isn't using that part of the network. The only time the 2 "networks" meet is at the phone socket.

I was under the impression that the broadband part is now filtered off inside the phone socket. So my question to you guys is.. if one of the internal devices is malfunctioning in some way, can it actually cause problems for the telephone line? Or would the in-built socket filtering always keep them apart?

The noise on the line is happening all the time, even during the initial ringing part.

I thought I'd ask you guys about the filtering of the socket as my last check before I call BT.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »

My phone setup isn't using that part of the network. The only time the 2 "networks" meet is at the phone socket.

Yes, that is correct.

I was under the impression that the broadband part is now filtered off inside the phone socket.

No, that is incorrect. The only filtering is a low-pass filter on the telephony circuit. The xDSL (high) frequencies are blocked from reaching the telephony side by that low-pass filter. All modems (or modem/routers) have a high-pass filter in their input circuit before the AFE (analogue front-end).

So my question to you guys is.. if one of the internal devices is malfunctioning in some way, can it actually cause problems for the telephone line?

Yes, that is a possibility.

Or would the in-built socket filtering always keep them apart?

No, as (briefly) explained above. The simplest check would be to power-down all of the active devices on the xDSL side, disconnect them from the circuit and then make another quiet line test call.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

Ok I changed my regular phone and plugged in a corded phone in to the test plug in the socket and dialed the bt quiet line test. Crackling was still there. I've noticed the crackling starts at the dial tone, before the ringing starts.

At that point I unplugged the modem from the phone socket and was expecting the crackling to disappear. It didn't.

So booked an OR enginner for Thursday morning.

The crackling happens on every call so I was thinking if his device says the line is fault free to get him to use the phone to dial the bt quiet line test.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »

If the line has audible crackling noises on it, there's no way the technicians 'Pair Quality Test' will have a 'Green pass' result. The leg-balances will be significantly different, indicating a HR fault. *

* There could also be another scenario that is a pure contact fault, whereby there is no 'High resistance' fault as such, just bare wire from one circuit touching bare wire from another circuit. But the likelihood is it WILL be a HR.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »

So booked an OR enginner for Thursday morning.

The crackling happens on every call so I was thinking if his device says the line is fault free to get him to use the phone to dial the bt quiet line test.

If you have reported it as an audible, noisy, telephony service you should be getting a visit from a network technician.

I'm not sure if Black Sheep's area covers your part of Lancashire . . . but who knows?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »

Something strange as happened.

I noticed yesterday the crackling as gone from the line!

I've made multiple calls, just to test the line and so far its perfect quality. If it keeps like this today I'm going to have to cancel the appointment.

When a fault is reported is it possible an OR engineer at the exchange as been taking a general look around and maybe have fixed the problem? or is this really a coincidence?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »

Unless you ring and ask your CP if any work has been carried out on your circuit recently, we can never know .... only speculate ??

For example ..... the remote line test all CP's perform before raising an engineering task may have identified an issue at the Exchange, or at the Cabinet .... etc etc ..... which would mean the fault could be cleared without need for access to the premises ??

Similarly if the issue had been a contact fault, as described above, then the other party may have reported their own circuit and as a result of that being repaired, yours has to ???

All pure guess work.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »

Well I thought the problem had been fixed. But today its returned. Just picking up the phone listening to the dial tone you can hear crackling.

I had cancelled the engineer visit before because I thought the problem had gone.

I have noticed something between then and now. It had been raining before and now its back to dry weather.

I'll give it a couple of days to see if it disappears, if not Ill make the arrangements again.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything