Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quiet line test?  (Read 9553 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Quiet line test?
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »

It's been a whole since I had to do one of those. What is the procedure for doing one? I can't remember the number we call for it.

I used cordless phones too. I understand I need to plug a corded phone in to the phone socket and just run the quiet line test and if it fails, then what do I do then? contact bt about a voice fault?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Quiet line test?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:11 AM »

The number to call is 17070. You will be given a list of options, I think a QLT is option number two.

There should be no noise, no hum, no buzzing, no clicks, no overhearing of "Glenda Gossip" in full-flow . . . you should just be aware that the circuit is electrically live.

If you decide that there is a fault, it should be reported to the entity that supplies your telephony service. You should report it as an audibly noisy telephony circuit and do not make any mention of the broadband service which also shares the circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:44 AM »

The number to call is 17070. You will be given a list of options, I think a QLT is option number two.

There should be no noise, no hum, no buzzing, no clicks, no overhearing of "Glenda Gossip" in full-flow . . . you should just be aware that the circuit is electrically live.

If you decide that there is a fault, it should be reported to the entity that supplies your telephony service. You should report it as an audibly noisy telephony circuit and do not make any mention of the broadband service which also shares the circuit.

Thanks for the advice :)

I'll get on to that tomorrow. My parents had been complaining about there being noise on the line for the last week, and I had noticed my SNR dropping. So looks like I'll turn detective! :) I'm with BT for both Infinity and the landline too.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

17070 'Quiet line' only works on BT classic circuits, just as a reminder.  :)

PS .... another tip I use, usually when BB faulting and trying to find that elusive HR fault ..... is to just have the phone plugged in and listening on 'Quiet Line', then plug the router in and whilst it is attempting to 'handshake' with the DSLAM listen for a slight hissing noise. If you can hear one, there is a HR somewhere.  :) 

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »

Ok I did the quiet line test with a corded phone. Even just picking the phone up I noticed there was crackling. Then I did the quiet line test and there were plenty of pops and crackles going on.

When booking the engineer via the website I had to laugh when diagnosing the problem. The first question asked me how many telephone sockets I had. I selected 1. Then the next screen asked me did that fix my problem  ;D

I'm impressed with the ability to book an engineer now. I booked him for tomorrow. Between 1pm to 6pm. I think last time I got a phone/broadband problem it used to take a couple of days.

I noticed this morning my modem reconnected at a slightly lower sync rate. I've noticed my sync rate dropping slightly on each disconnect. Not sure if its just more crosstalk, or maybe this voice line becoming gradually worse.

I'll report back tomorrow with how everything went on.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »

PS .... another tip I use, usually when BB faulting and trying to find that elusive HR fault ..... is to just have the phone plugged in and listening on 'Quiet Line', then plug the router in and whilst it is attempting to 'handshake' with the DSLAM listen for a slight hissing noise. If you can hear one, there is a HR somewhere.  :)

That's a useful tip, thank you.

Ok I did the quiet line test with a corded phone. Even just picking the phone up I noticed there was crackling. Then I did the quiet line test and there were plenty of pops and crackles going on.

When booking the engineer via the website I had to laugh when diagnosing the problem. The first question asked me how many telephone sockets I had. I selected 1. Then the next screen asked me did that fix my problem  ;D

In all seriousness, did you perform two QLTs? One from the telephony socket on the SSFP and the second from the "test socket" within the NTE5? Obviously it is the result from the latter that would be relevant for the circuit fault investigation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »

Yes I did perform 2 QLT's and both had crackling on them BUT it would stop half way through. It seemed inconsistant. Even when I first noticed the crackling during a regular phone call the crackling wouldnt be there for the entire call. It would come in and out.

Ok BT Engineer turned up.

He couldnt find any problem with the voice side of things. But he replaced the phone socket filter as a precaution and tested the line. All his equipment was showing green. He said its probably an intermittant fault and to keep monitoring it. After we talked about the broadband speed also dropping he said keep monitoring that too. He would write on his report "fault not found", so it keeps the job open for 30 days.

He tested my fibre connection at 60Mb, which is lower than my previous connection before he arrived at 64Mb.

One thing I have noticed is my max attainable rate keeps dropping. As of 7th of July I'm currently connected at 61Mb with a max attainable is 71Mb. But 2 months ago in on 6th of May I was connected at 66Mb with an attainable of 78Mb. Interleaving is applied in both cases.

I'm thinking its some kind of HR fault. Would this also effect the max attainable speed?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »

I ran the stats graph program just now, here is a few attachments. If you need any of the others let me know.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »

When I had my HR joint earlier this year I used the voice recording app on my mobile phone held near the phones earpiece to record the clicks, bangs, pops, crackling, because each time the engineer came it was perfect line with no noise. >:(
Make notes of times when you do the QLT.
Hope you do not have to go to the length I had to and contact the CRO of BT OR.

When you do your QLT do not hang up when the tone comes on, wait, the you can get a lot of time with out her saying QLT every 20 seconds in your ear.
You are still listening to your line.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:48:27 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »

When I had my HR joint earlier this year I used the voice recording app on my mobile phone held near the phones earpiece to record the clicks, bangs, pops, crackling, because each time the engineer came it was perfect line with no noise. >:(
Make notes of times when you do the QLT.
Hope you do not have to go to the length I had to and contact the CRO of BT OR.

When your do you QLT do not hang up when the tone comes on, wait, the you can get a lot of time with out her saying QLT every 20 seconds in your ear.
You are still listening to your line.

Thanks for the advice. My dad was just on the phone now and he can still hear the crackling going on.

The only bit that kinda surprised me was the engineer didnt actually try making a call using the phone. I guess there is a tendency by some to just use the technology they have at hand rather than go back to basics.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »

Hi all, back again.

I've been recording the phone line with the crackles. I've noticed the crackles on the quiet line test are louder now. Also I have a question.

Why are the crackles and interferance louder on an actual call, rather than just dialing the quiet line test?

On my first quiet line test I did last week the interference was minimal and I thought maybe thats normal. But during phone calls the interference was a lot louder, to the point its difficult to tell what the other people are saying.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »

There shouldn't be a difference. In either circumstance, you are setting up a 'both way working' phone call.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

I think when I'm contacting BT again I'm going to call it in as every regular phone call seems to have massive static noise on it so they should be able to hear what I'm complaining about.

It's definately got worse since the last OR guy was here, so hopefully thats a good thing in getting it detected.

I'm trying to arrange for my dad to call the house phone on his friends house phone then we can record it.

It's not the phone I'm using as when using the intercom the line is quiet as a mouse. It's purely when we make calls. It's getting to the point when calling the doctors or pharmacy we can hardly hear whats being said. Also I suspect this is whats lowering my max attainable sync speed too.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »

If it's crackling as loud and often as you say it is, it should be a relatively easy fault to identify and measure to ............. what follows in order to repair the HR we won't know at this stage ??

I would DEFINTELY get it raised as a 'Voice fault' as opposed to a 'broadband fault'.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

I had OR out for exactly the same problem some time ago, crackling line, would stop as soon as the OR Van turned up >:D
on the Seventh  visit he was putting his tools away in the van while running the QLT, right near the end of the test, it started.
So with his meter connected, it still showed green on all tests but clearly something was wrong..
Persistence pays with this type of fault.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590
Pages: [1] 2