Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

Using a MacBook as a desktop

(1/5) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Anybody tried using a MacBook long term with a external monitor and keyboard, as if it were a desktop?

What I really want is a new Mac Mini but as Apple only offer a 3 year old design, I'm beginning to wonder if a MacBook Pro might be an option.  Cpu and other specs seem fine for what I want, which is building Apps & testing with Xcode, and my other hobby, photo editing.  Currently using Affinity Photo for the latter.

Pros would be that on a nice day like today I could bring it out onto the garden table and still get on with useful work.  Might have to resist the glass of Pimms that normally goes with sitting outside, mind. ::)

Cons would be much higher cost, and the fact battery replacement might be needed within the life I usually keep things, at least 6 or 7 years as long as Apple keep supporting it.   I'm also not sure if the battery would even be happy, on a device spending 99% of the time plugged into mains.

Thoughts welcome?

speedyrite:
My mid-2012 MacBook Pro (blimey, it's 5 years old already!) spends 99% of its time desk bound and connected to the mains.

From System Information > System Report, Hardware > Power > Battery Information tells me (amongst many other things) that tells me that Full Charge Capacity (mAh) is 5589, Cycle Count is 73 and Condition is Normal.

I have no concerns about that, at the present time!

sevenlayermuddle:
Thanks.  So far as I understand Apple suggest a battery cycle count of 1000 is expected, so a count of 73 after five years does indeed bode well, in fact it might well outlive me.

I'm of course assuming that it is fair to assume that a MacBook and Mac mini, with similar specs, will have similar performance.  After all, when you take a Mini to bits, it's essentially got laptop bits inside.

Definitely feeling tempted.   Problem would be justifying the expense not just to myself but to better half who, I am told, has more sense than me.  Or maybe I just need to hide the packaging and, when she first sees it claim...
"That old thing? Nah, had it for years."  ::)

parkdale:
"Wheres this battery management your on about?"

View this post on Instagram
--- End quote ---

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV58CkrBePK/?taken-by=adventuresofotitis&hl=en

sevenlayermuddle:
Nice to see a cat that enjoys a challenge.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version