Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Who provides the fastest broadband please?  (Read 3586 times)

portishead350

Who provides the fastest broadband please?
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »

Hi all.
I would like to change my broadband. Currently I am with plusnet.
I cant really afford fibre.
I am about 2 miles from exchange and speed isn't great.  I'm sure talktalk used to give me better speed but I left them for plusnet. It's not great now.
So, my question - Does anyone know who the fastest provider could be of normal bb???  Are they all them same?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:23:16 AM by portishead350 »
Plusnet, fttc, Huawei cab. Yessss

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Who provides the fastest broadband please?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »

Would you be able to provide the current connection statistics for your Plusnet service, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

portishead350

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »

Yes. Is this enough? 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:02:06 AM by portishead350 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »

the performance may be variable from provider to provider, but I cannot really give you a direct answer.

Variables include the following.

Proximity of POP to exchange used by the backhaul carrier.
Congestion by the carrier/isp.
Possible congestion at the exchange (SVLAN)

ISP A may be great in AREA B and at same time ISP B may have problems in AREA B, but ISP A may have problems in AREA A and ISP B is great in AREA A.

The proximity of POP will only affect base latency and potential ramp up speeds, but not maximum speeds.

Plusnet mostly now use their own MSILS on BT wholesale, likewise BT retail also do.
Isps like AAISP and ZEN when using BT wholesale backhaul use shared MSILS.
Isps like sky and talktalk have their own backhaul so bypass BT wholesale.

Then there is another variable which is dependent on if you have 20CN or 21CN adsl services.

The short answer is you wont know till you try the new isp, some isp's are perhaps more likely to have issues than others, usually lower priced isp's.

Also with ADSL if you goto a provider with its own backhaul such as sky or talktalk it may affect your modem sync speed for better or worse as they use their own DSLAM's.

If you was happy with what talktalk provided, then its probably prudent to switch back if you leaving plusnet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »

Yes. Is this enough?

Thank you. That gives us some idea of how your circuit is currently operating. I was interested to know the modulation mode in use . . . and I see it is G.992.3 (a.k.a. ADSL2 or G.dmt.bis). That, combined with the attenuation, tells us your line is of a significant (but not excessive) length -- rather like my own.

Assuming your circuit transits via a PCP which has its own "fibre twin", the obvious candidate would be any G.993.2 (FTTC) based service. However you have already ruled out such a service. Chrysalis has given you some sound advice and I would echo his closing comment -- TalkTalk may well be appropriate for your needs.

portishead350

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »

Thank you for your advice and help..
 So,  since you've cast your eye over the router info, would you say I'm currently running as best as possible at present?

I'm happy to go back to talktalk now as the service I had was faultless for about 4 years.... I just fancied a change, and saved sine pounds.  I'm sure plusnet is worse speed.

So, given that- price wise, TT is £25 including calls, I have also seen similar comparisons with sse and John Lewis broadband but both about £4 cheaper than TT.  Are these serious considerations or no. They are a fair bit cheaper but I can't sacrifice any mbs of speed ;) !!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »

. . .  since you've cast your eye over the router info, would you say I'm currently running as best as possible at present?

It is not that simple. All we have seen is a momentary snapshot of the circuit's operation. For example, I see that the DS SNRM showed as 4.3 dB. What I don't know is if that was a transient reduction or . . . ?

What I will say is that there is nothing shown which gives me cause for concern.

. . . I have also seen similar comparisons with sse and John Lewis broadband but both about £4 cheaper than TT.  Are these serious considerations or no. They are a fair bit cheaper but I can't sacrifice any mbs of speed ;) !!

I have no experience of those latter two service providers and would therefore urge you to perform some research.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »

From my own experience with ADSL Max 5-6 years ago BT was the fastest ISP with downstream throughput of 6Mbps and TT came in at 4.5Mbps as for FTTC with BT and EE then VF and back to EE the only difference in speed was all down to the Modem/Router in use at those times.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »

Thank you for your advice and help..
 So,  since you've cast your eye over the router info, would you say I'm currently running as best as possible at present?

I'm happy to go back to talktalk now as the service I had was faultless for about 4 years.... I just fancied a change, and saved sine pounds.  I'm sure plusnet is worse speed.

So, given that- price wise, TT is £25 including calls, I have also seen similar comparisons with sse and John Lewis broadband but both about £4 cheaper than TT.  Are these serious considerations or no. They are a fair bit cheaper but I can't sacrifice any mbs of speed ;) !!
FYI John Lewis is Plusnet and SSE is a Daisy/TT brand.
I'll be corrected by someone, if I'm wrong.:)

portishead350

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

Ok.
So, I've been trying a few things here and there.  I decided to wire the Bt faceplate directly into the drop wire box from the garden. Thus eliminating the internal single length of extension cable that comes from it to the point inside the house, Some 8mtrs away.
I appear to get around 1/2 to 1mb faster speed by doing so.
When I put it all back in the house, it drops again.
Is this really possible? I just have the round attachment on the wall outside With the incoming wire from ground.
But maybe it was just because I'd rewired it to the outside, switched it on and i got a speed surge.
Who knows.  Doesnt appear to be a standard speed. It's all over the place.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:07:33 PM by portishead350 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

. . .  I decided to wire the Bt faceplate directly into the drop wire box from the garden. Thus eliminating the internal single length of extension cable that comes from it to the point inside the house, Some 8mtrs away.
I appear to get around 1/2 to 1mb faster speed by doing so.
When I put it all back in the house, it drops again.
Is this really possible? I just have the round attachment on the wall outside With the incoming wire from ground.

So you have an underground service feed to an older style BT18. From there, the pair enters your property and terminates on an NTE5/A. Assuming I am "seeing" your current set-up correctly, then your experimental results suggest that there is something amiss with the connection between the BT18 and the NTE5/A.

Of course I do have to mention one thing: The BT18, the NTE5/A and the cable linking them together are in the domain of Openreach and you should not be making adjustments thereto.  ;)

But maybe it was just because I'd rewired it to the outside, switched it on and i got a speed surge.

No. Nothing like that will happen.  :no:

anything