Broadband Related > ISPs

Who provides the fastest broadband please?

(1/3) > >>

portishead350:
Hi all.
I would like to change my broadband. Currently I am with plusnet.
I cant really afford fibre.
I am about 2 miles from exchange and speed isn't great.  I'm sure talktalk used to give me better speed but I left them for plusnet. It's not great now.
So, my question - Does anyone know who the fastest provider could be of normal bb???  Are they all them same?

burakkucat:
Would you be able to provide the current connection statistics for your Plusnet service, please?

portishead350:
Yes. Is this enough? 

Chrysalis:
the performance may be variable from provider to provider, but I cannot really give you a direct answer.

Variables include the following.

Proximity of POP to exchange used by the backhaul carrier.
Congestion by the carrier/isp.
Possible congestion at the exchange (SVLAN)

ISP A may be great in AREA B and at same time ISP B may have problems in AREA B, but ISP A may have problems in AREA A and ISP B is great in AREA A.

The proximity of POP will only affect base latency and potential ramp up speeds, but not maximum speeds.

Plusnet mostly now use their own MSILS on BT wholesale, likewise BT retail also do.
Isps like AAISP and ZEN when using BT wholesale backhaul use shared MSILS.
Isps like sky and talktalk have their own backhaul so bypass BT wholesale.

Then there is another variable which is dependent on if you have 20CN or 21CN adsl services.

The short answer is you wont know till you try the new isp, some isp's are perhaps more likely to have issues than others, usually lower priced isp's.

Also with ADSL if you goto a provider with its own backhaul such as sky or talktalk it may affect your modem sync speed for better or worse as they use their own DSLAM's.

If you was happy with what talktalk provided, then its probably prudent to switch back if you leaving plusnet.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: portishead350 on June 25, 2017, 12:55:21 AM ---Yes. Is this enough?

--- End quote ---

Thank you. That gives us some idea of how your circuit is currently operating. I was interested to know the modulation mode in use . . . and I see it is G.992.3 (a.k.a. ADSL2 or G.dmt.bis). That, combined with the attenuation, tells us your line is of a significant (but not excessive) length -- rather like my own.

Assuming your circuit transits via a PCP which has its own "fibre twin", the obvious candidate would be any G.993.2 (FTTC) based service. However you have already ruled out such a service. Chrysalis has given you some sound advice and I would echo his closing comment -- TalkTalk may well be appropriate for your needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version