Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Huge Increase in Upstream Errored Seconds  (Read 3409 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Huge Increase in Upstream Errored Seconds
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »

Hi All,
I'd stopped 24/7 monitoring of my line during May of this year as my line had been stable, and it didn't look the best having a Raspberry Pi cabled up to the HG612 in our kitchen.

During the week we had to turn the power off to have smart gas and electricity meters fitted. Out of curiosity I decided to reconnect the Pi and see what my stats were after resync.

I wasn't surprised to see a slight drop in sync speed, but what I've been most surprised at is the huge increase in upstream Errored seconds. Apart from the meters being swapped, nothing else has changed in the house. My profile on MDWS is JamesK.

In the past the errors rarely got beyond 12 during a day. Yesterday there was over 300.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.

Many Thanks...
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
Re: Huge Increase in Upstream Errored Seconds
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »

I notice when the weather changes from Sunny to raining & back I get more errors

I believe this is due to more electromagnetic interference in the atmosphere because thunderclouds are formed

When there's lightning my VDSL usually disconnects
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:07:39 AM »

That's the strange thing, the weather hasn't really changed much. It's just been dry and humid with little rain. I've just re-connected the Pi to the HG612 and re-enabled MDWS so I'll take a look to see if things have improved.

I've never seen the upstream errors so high with the downstream apparently unaffected.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

Warm with humidity causes thunder clouds, just my 2 cents
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »

It could well be a new noise source near the CAB where the main impact for your line will be upstream or it may be something local to you with noise only in the upstream frequency bands.  If it is by the CAB you may find it hard to get anything done unless it severely effects your line overall performance.  Monitoring will show it is there all the time or comes and goes.  You could also try the usual shut down of all the devices in your property to see if it is one of them. 

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »

I'd be surprised if it's anything new near the cabinets, as for some reason the cabinets are located in the middle of an overgrown common. They're at least 100 metres from any properties, the A1M is closer! When we had FTTC installed we had a BT engineer visit from out of the local area, and he couldn't find the cabinets as the comon ground gets so overgrown you can't actually see the cabinets at all.

The only things that's changed locally for me is the installation of the smart meter (Secure Liberty 100), but as I wasn't monitoring the line before they were installed it's difficult to blame that at this point. We've also started using an old Motorola MBP-18 Video Baby Monitor, I don't know if they can cause issues.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:34:54 PM by JamesK »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »

every resync event is a lottery on the UPBO, it will vary from sync to sync.  This can have a significant affect on ES.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »

Ah sure I get 16-20 ES every time the landline receives a call don't know why but it has been doing this since day one on FTTC and more so since G.INP MK2 was released without G.INP on the upstream it's definitely not the Master Socket or DECT phone it's something you will get used to overtime as long as it stays below DLM STD & SPEED you will be fine.   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 08:50:30 PM »

Upstream errors are generally the first indicator of a high-resistance (HR) fault brewing.  The problem is it will likely be in its infancy, and so most remote and on-site test functions will not 'see' it.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »

Upstream errors are generally the first indicator of a high-resistance (HR) fault brewing.  The problem is it will likely be in its infancy, and so most remote and on-site test functions will not 'see' it.

Could you explain what an HR fault is, and what would cause it? Is it something which would generally be an issue with the wiring in the house or grey box on the wall outside the house?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »

I can give you the explanation of a HR fault connection " A High Resistance Connection (HRC) is a problem that results from loose or poor connections" the loose connection could be a result of corrosion or badly terminated connector the result is high resistance or what I like to call it a restraint of flow of electrons in the copper pair.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

I'm wondering if the Gel crimps within the box on the wall outside the house could be where the problem lies. In 2013 I had BT out and they cut the service feed right back. Black Sheep commented on it at the time... here.
There's not much I can do to make it any better, as firstly I know I shouldn't mess around with that cabling, and secondly there's not enough feed to put new Gel crimps on unless i cut away some of the protective sheath on the feed cable.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »

A 'HR' condition can lie anywhere between the Exchange equipment and your master socket ............ there's a helluva lot of places the fault may lay. I personally wouldn't start faffing with the UG feed cable/crimps etc, as if they were 're-made' 3yrs ago it's unlikely the problem is there again so soon ??

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »

I would think that an HR fault would show up as a sync speed drop and and an increase in reported attenuation so if you can compare current stats with older ones that may help indicate the possible issue.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »

I would think that an HR fault would show up as a sync speed drop and and an increase in reported attenuation so if you can compare current stats with older ones that may help indicate the possible issue.
I'm not seeing much noticeable differences in the stats in MDWS between now and older ones, that's why I'm struggling to understand the sudden increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2