Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: DSLstats version 6.0 released  (Read 31755 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats version 6.0 released
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »

I've no doubt that the issue here is with the MDWS upload function. What I'm struggling with is why it works fine for some people but not for others on similar systems.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »

Trying to educate myself, I found this article. I mention it FWIW in case it might be useful to anybody.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »

Hi

Sorry, I meant the unresponsive aspect of dslstats as seen, maybe because tony server is not working fully (until tony confirms it is, I operate on the theory it is not) and tony is having a break, so let's all be patient

My post was for those with dslstats which upload without issue, but has become unresponsive and not those users who cannot upload

Many thanks

John

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »

Strange thing is that since falling back to 5.9.5 MDWS upload works fine for me and no upload16.exe hangs so I dont believe it is the MDWS server which is causing this or I'd see it using this older version.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »

Hi broadstairs

Many thanks, and I have turned on uploading now

Yes, you are correct as roseway knows about this issue

The unresponsive issue still persists for me but, and anyone who tries how I cured it, do so at own risk, as I have not and will not reverse engineer roseway files

There is a difference in file size (probably correct) between the upload15 and upload16

I stopped dslstats, renamed upload16.exe, copied upload15.exe to v6 dslstats folder, renamed upload15.exe to upload16.exe and started dslstats

All appears to work fine, no errors shown

I am not saying this resolves the issue, and I do not know the difference between the upload exe files

Many thanks

John

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:26 AM »

I've spent the last few hours trying to make sense of this although the upload15/16.exe change I haven't looked at (yet).

Basically I can't get it to fail uploading on three different terminals. Normally I run it on the server itself but as this is not something anyone else would do I've checked it out 'normally'. All the machinery below has the latest updates installed  (except Win10 has no Creators edition).

1) Windows 8.1 Ver 6.0.1 installed in C:\DSLstats - no problem and no compatibility or admin set

2) Windows 10 Ver 6.0.1 installed and executable run from D:\DSLstats - no problem and no compatibility or admin set

3) Windows 10 Ver 6.0.1 installed and run from C:\DSLStats 6.0.1 -initially  Kaspersky went bananas and when it first tried to upload anything! Took about 10 mins to sort out the damage and permissions but adding file exclusions for the four executables solved this and runs okay now (running at this very moment)  and no compatibility or admin set

I've run DSLstats on my ADSL2+ line for two+ years now and it hardly every fails any uploads.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »

My uploads do not fail but without disabling uploads to mydsl the program hangs whilst carrying out the sampling function. I intend to roll it back to an earlier version to see if it cures the issue.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »

Hi tbailey2

Many thanks

Sorry, my issue was dslstats was becoming unresponsive, which the above appears to have corrected I think

I checked back on previous dslstats versions, and the upload file is always 278kb, apart from v6, which smaller (wondering if build process has gone slightly wrong perhaps on upload exe)

I am sorry to say, I do not know how to know if upload  failed, perhaps it displays this in the event tab, so I believe mine uploads lovely (on upload16 and upload15), and I do not regularly check stats sorry

I am not trying to resolve or cause roseway additional issues, just letting users know how I believe I have resolved my temporary freeze

I hope you had a good break and kudos to you

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »

upload16.xxx replaced upload15.xxx in version 5.9.2, and it included some changes to support a timeout for the occasions when MDWS is unavailable. If you rename upload15.xxx to upload16.xxx and use it with the latest version of DSLstats it will probably work OK (although I haven't checked this), but the timeout capability may be lost. I'm working towards a proper solution now.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »

Just for the record, I don't see any hangs/unresponsive issues or focus problems on any terminal using Ver 6.0.1...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »

Hi

Many thanks

@tbailey2 - the only issue I see is dslstats becomes unresponsive for about 4 - 5 seconds, then runs lovely for about a minute, then repeats.

This does not bother me as it continues

@roseway, many thanks, I was not trying to intrude sorry.

Thinking about it quickly, perhaps the new time out for mdws might be the reason for unresponsive, whilst it waits for an answer from mdws perhaps (or dns been slow)

It's just a thought and sorry, I know you both would have already thought of this, and tony may not see this, as he's connected locally then external

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »

Ops sorry

I meant to ask what version v6 is meant to be, v6.0.0.0 or v6.0.1 as tony suggests

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »

I replaced 6.0 with 6.0.1 to correct a small possible memory leak which resulted from a process not being correctly terminated after doing its job. I'm not sure that there was actually a memory leak in practice, and it's probably not worth bothering over at this point.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

Hi roseway

Many thanks, much appreciated

I downloaded v6.0.1 and currently using it

The unresponsive still continues (which I'm sure you know happens when it shows sampling)

I do not think it's dns as I hard set dns to IP address

I will leave it as is and kudos to you

Many thanks

John

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »

As I asked the question I thought best to follow it up .

I have fixed the hanging I was seeing when the sample is being taken by using the upload15 renamed as upload16 on the latest version - so far so good for me. When I use the latest downloaded upload16 the app will hang when the sample is being taken.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:54:33 PM by skyeci »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10