Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Openreach Test New 1Gbps Broadband Pole Mounted FTTdp G.fast Kit  (Read 4523 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/bt-openreach-test-new-1gbps-broadband-pole-mounted-fttdp-g-fast-kit.html

Openreach (BT) has confirmed that they’re testing a new Fibre-to-the-distribution-point (FTTdp) style of G.fast broadband technology that mounts hardware from NetComm Wireless on top of telegraph poles, which shows that the operator hasn’t given up on FTTdp.

Some readers will readily recall that many of Openreach’s earliest trials were deployed using smaller G.fast nodes (distribution points), which were fixed on top of telegraph poles or under manholes and fed by a fibre optic cable. A small box would often then be built nearby in order to supply this kit with power.

I'm glad they are reviving this because without G.fast on nodes AWAY from the cabinet then I think there would be an eventual progression issue, as G.fast under the original plan was supposed to be closer to peoples houses. This was the full fibre compromise. So either get these nodes further out or push further out full fibre.

I can see why they are keeping the nodes close to the cabinet for now. But I majorly doubt there is going to be profit for BT in doing that. Someone on a good 80 down 20 up is less likely to upgrade to G.fast in my opinion. There isn't really a big speed jump for them, not as much as someone who currently lives 400 metres away. If a node was put in 100 metres away from their house they would have a significant speed increase as well as probable stability improvements too. They would much more likely take the new G.fast product.

In my view its not money-wise to put nodes next to the cabinet, but oh well.. I'm sure the bean counters have been doing lots of counting lol.

In my opinion these nodes should be designed to be future-proof, i.e. in the future be turned in to a junction box for full fibre. Also they might think of making bigger nodes too that for poles that are made to wrap around it fully at the top. Hmm maybe they also might consider making a new pole too, moving away from the wooden ones, this would improve safety when repairs need to be done.

Ok thats my brainstorm for the morning over, gonna grab my cuppa tea :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach Test New 1Gbps Broadband Pole Mounted FTTdp G.fast Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Agreed on all counts. The current strategy I think is pointless. Why didn't they just roll out 30a, wouldn't it have been enough for now?

Who is actually calling out for 300Mbps now? I'd much rather more fibre at less of a speed, just because I'm fed up with copper and we should ditch it ASAP.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »

I agree about removing copper.

On another forum I go on someone said that their phone company in the US (i *think* he said AT&T) were turning off his phone line for a few days and updating all lines to fibre. He was asking the group what does that mean.

So yea, copper is an old technology. It served us well. But it was never really built for what we use it for now.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jh1952

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

I also think that copper has had it's day. All copper switched to fibre ASAP. :fingers:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »

Agreed on all counts. The current strategy I think is pointless. Why didn't they just roll out 30a, wouldn't it have been enough for now?

Who is actually calling out for 300Mbps now? I'd much rather more fibre at less of a speed, just because I'm fed up with copper and we should ditch it ASAP.

If you could come up with a business case for spending the cash on fibre at the same speeds Openreach might be interested in hearing it. Being 'fed up with copper' doesn't really work as far as making the sums work goes if copper is adequate.

As far as who is calling for 300Mb/s, around 10%, and they don't care whether it's delivered via FTTP or a hybrid system.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:44:42 PM »

Copper can't be switched to fibre in the UK. If this is undesirable take it up with Ofcom.

Couldn't give a stuff how the bandwidth is delivered, care about the outcome not how it's reached. FTTC is inadequate for me now given my distance from the cabinet but I'd be more than happy to use a hybrid solution if it provided the desired performance.

FTTP is of course the best, but not going to die in a ditch for it.  :)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:48:07 AM »

Does anyone want to guess economy of scale for such devices?  My pole has eight lines on it how many would need to want to allow us to get faster speed?  Is there scope to put the pod somewhere where it may feed five close proximity poles?  Are pods on poles the only option for people to get gfast who are too far away from fttc cabinet to benefit over vdsl? Thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:15:06 PM »

Are pods on poles the only option for people to get gfast who are too far away from fttc cabinet to benefit over vdsl?

No, Openreach can also place a g.fast unit in their network between a current FTTC cabinet and telegraph poles (so can can cover several at once)

In fact, its how they plan to extend the number of customers who will be eligible for g.fast services after their initial cabinet based rollout.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »

I've seen nothing about Openreach planning G.fast in a remote node deployment beyond speculation based on the very early trials.

Do you have any links on that?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »

It depends on how much you expect to see when you say "planning"...

There are plenty of documents produced by BT that show additional G.Fast nodes in addition to the pod - so they seem to acknowledge a future in which they will exist.
One old example can be seen in Neil McRae's presentation at UKNOF, back in 2015:
https://youtu.be/LLpk2dz6nBQ?t=119

One more recent example can be found here:
CommNet2 Research Presentations, Dec 2016 - Look for Trevor Linney's.

But actual plans? With real hardware ideas?
No.

But I wouldn't expect to see those for a while ... not until there is some real hardware running in the pods, running with full long-range firmware & hardware, running with full vectoring capability, and then some idea of demand.

So I also take this news story in that vein - a very early indicator of something we might see in 3+ years. Something for researchers to play with, not something for subscribers to get carried away with.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

My feeling is BT will eventually spend to make fibre deeper, but they will wait until they absolutely need to. Could be a year, could be a decade, depends on the accountants.

They will probably assess sales on the cabinet based g.fast, monitor if customers are been lost to VM for reason of speed, and of course if a new technology comes along that turns out cheaper than g.fast to deploy which is possible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:28:15 PM by Chrysalis »

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

Didn't Openreach already look at nodes for the G.fast roll-out and decide they just weren't prepared to spend the cash - so we've ended up with pods? They can test whatever they want, but AFAIK it's probably not going to appear on a street near you.

anything