Announcements > News Articles

BT Openreach Test New 1Gbps Broadband Pole Mounted FTTdp G.fast Kit

(1/3) > >>

Bowdon:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/bt-openreach-test-new-1gbps-broadband-pole-mounted-fttdp-g-fast-kit.html

--- Quote ---Openreach (BT) has confirmed that they’re testing a new Fibre-to-the-distribution-point (FTTdp) style of G.fast broadband technology that mounts hardware from NetComm Wireless on top of telegraph poles, which shows that the operator hasn’t given up on FTTdp.

Some readers will readily recall that many of Openreach’s earliest trials were deployed using smaller G.fast nodes (distribution points), which were fixed on top of telegraph poles or under manholes and fed by a fibre optic cable. A small box would often then be built nearby in order to supply this kit with power.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad they are reviving this because without G.fast on nodes AWAY from the cabinet then I think there would be an eventual progression issue, as G.fast under the original plan was supposed to be closer to peoples houses. This was the full fibre compromise. So either get these nodes further out or push further out full fibre.

I can see why they are keeping the nodes close to the cabinet for now. But I majorly doubt there is going to be profit for BT in doing that. Someone on a good 80 down 20 up is less likely to upgrade to G.fast in my opinion. There isn't really a big speed jump for them, not as much as someone who currently lives 400 metres away. If a node was put in 100 metres away from their house they would have a significant speed increase as well as probable stability improvements too. They would much more likely take the new G.fast product.

In my view its not money-wise to put nodes next to the cabinet, but oh well.. I'm sure the bean counters have been doing lots of counting lol.

In my opinion these nodes should be designed to be future-proof, i.e. in the future be turned in to a junction box for full fibre. Also they might think of making bigger nodes too that for poles that are made to wrap around it fully at the top. Hmm maybe they also might consider making a new pole too, moving away from the wooden ones, this would improve safety when repairs need to be done.

Ok thats my brainstorm for the morning over, gonna grab my cuppa tea :)

GigabitEthernet:
Agreed on all counts. The current strategy I think is pointless. Why didn't they just roll out 30a, wouldn't it have been enough for now?

Who is actually calling out for 300Mbps now? I'd much rather more fibre at less of a speed, just because I'm fed up with copper and we should ditch it ASAP.

Bowdon:
I agree about removing copper.

On another forum I go on someone said that their phone company in the US (i *think* he said AT&T) were turning off his phone line for a few days and updating all lines to fibre. He was asking the group what does that mean.

So yea, copper is an old technology. It served us well. But it was never really built for what we use it for now.

jh1952:
I also think that copper has had it's day. All copper switched to fibre ASAP. :fingers:

niemand:

--- Quote from: GigabitEthernet on June 23, 2017, 12:10:53 PM ---Agreed on all counts. The current strategy I think is pointless. Why didn't they just roll out 30a, wouldn't it have been enough for now?

Who is actually calling out for 300Mbps now? I'd much rather more fibre at less of a speed, just because I'm fed up with copper and we should ditch it ASAP.

--- End quote ---

If you could come up with a business case for spending the cash on fibre at the same speeds Openreach might be interested in hearing it. Being 'fed up with copper' doesn't really work as far as making the sums work goes if copper is adequate.

As far as who is calling for 300Mb/s, around 10%, and they don't care whether it's delivered via FTTP or a hybrid system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version