Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: “Full Fibre” ISPs Call on ASA to Stop Misleading UK “Fibre Broadband” Adverts  (Read 1692 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/full-fibre-isps-call-asa-stop-misleading-uk-fibre-broadband-adverts.html

Three of the UK’s most pioneering providers’ of ultrafast “full fibre” (FTTP/H) broadband – Gigaclear, Cityfibre and Hyperoptic – have today called on the Advertising Standards Authority to stop rivals from using the term “fibre” to advertise services delivered over slower copper wires.

At the start of this year several senior Government MPs suggested that some ISPs were “complicit in fraud” for the way in which they advertised broadband speeds and misused “fibre” terminology in their advertising. The Digital Minister, Matthew Hancock, who has been championing support for “full fibre” providers, also said that “adverts should be clear, and if it’s fibre, it should say fibre. If it’s not, it should not.”

I can see why this situation as arisen. ISP's have been pushing this fibre advert tag when at most it is a hybrid fibre technology.

Companies that actually ARE full fibre technology are right to complain as if they start selling to the public then its going to be confusing for the customer.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

ASA wont back down until mainstream isps rollout full fibre, notice how they allowed misleading unlimited right until BT decided to remove traffic management.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I agree. It annoys me that we're promised fibre but its not really fibre.

I can see why companies want to advertise fibre but it just confuses the situation, especially now that there ARE full fibre isp's out there. Quite rightly they should demand that non-full fibre products shouldnt be labeled as fibre.

It also annoys me how they keep going on about wifi strength too! Wifi strength is really nothing to do with the internet connection. All they are really doing is advertising the smart hub, when most people know its a pile of s..unshine ;)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen

Citation for the Smart Hub being no good, please. On paper it should be pretty capable, it has a 4x4 MIMO 5 GHz radio.

anything