Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Combined VDSL modem & router  (Read 1835 times)

MrWhite

• Just arrived
Combined VDSL modem & router
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:50 PM »

I've read the sticky on combined VDSL modem and routers, which as been useful.  My wifi is served by Ubiquiti Unifi access points, so I don't need wifi on my modem/router (but neither do I want a bunch of separate boxes).  So, my question is:  Is there a decent non-wifi modem/router or is it just easier to get a wifi one and turn the wifi off?

Secondly, if I did the latter, is there much difference between the routing capabilities if I went for a cheaper N version rather than a faster AC version?  Essentially are the non-wifi components comparable?  What are people's recommendations?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Combined VDSL modem & router
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »

. . .  Is there a decent non-wifi modem/router or is it just easier to get a wifi one and turn the wifi off?

I will suggest that the latter option would be the simplest solution.

Secondly, if I did the latter, is there much difference between the routing capabilities if I went for a cheaper N version rather than a faster AC version?  Essentially are the non-wifi components comparable?

An interesting pair of questions. :hmm:  I have never considered that aspect prior to you asking the questions.

I would be inclined to consider the various devices with 801n capabilities if the WiFi subsystem will be disabled. At the end of the day, it is going to be a case of "suck it and see" . . . perhaps use a supplier who will allow a return for refund if the device does not perform as you hoped?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »

An interesting pair of questions. :hmm:  I have never considered that aspect prior to you asking the questions.

And I was thinking it was a nooby question!  ;D

I was wondering whether it was analogous to buying a laptop - the more you spend the better/faster the internal components are.  The only obvious ones I see on consumer products are differences between 100Mbps/1Gbps LAN ports and USB 2 or USB 3.  On SoHo/business routers, then you see stats on packets, switching capacity etc. (bit over my head) but there's obviously differences in the internal components.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »

If you would like to compose a "wish list" that specifies your ideal modem/router, then I'm sure fellow members will be able to help in identifying appropriate devices.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »

I see that you have asked exactly the same question in the Thinkbroadband Forum . . .

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

Yeah, posted there too to get some input.

Wishlist isn't very big:  something that will give a good sync on a Huawei cabinet and allows me to set VLAN tag.  Router with DHCP, address reservation, UPnP, QoS, gigabit ports - standard stuff you'd find on a main manufacturer's router.