Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to force W7 to re-detect my plug & pray monitor  (Read 9250 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
How to force W7 to re-detect my plug & pray monitor
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »

I have my only windows system running 24x7 for the weather station and the monitor is connected via a KVM switch. Normally this works fine when I manually power cycle or re-boot it with the monitor connected. However in a power cut situation with the monitor switched off it simply loads a generic monitor but uses a resolution which is not compatible with the actual monitor when it is powered on. Now I can get round the resolution issue easily but the generic driver does not show the actual resolution I need.

So my question is how can I force a detection of the monitor without having to re-boot. I've tried using device manager but it does not detect it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: How to force W7 to re-detect my plug & pray monitor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »

This any good?
https://superuser.com/questions/544586/windows-7-detect-new-secondary-monitor-without-rebooting

I'll try the graphics adapter trick shown there and see if it works. Certainly the device manager rescan does not find the monitor.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: How to force W7 to re-detect my plug & pray monitor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »

Just realised I never updated with my work-around. I have TightVNC installed on the PC and accessing via that from another PC allows me to see the desktop and reset the monitor resolution. I know it's not much good if you don't already have VNC set up but it worked for me.

Stuart

anything