Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modem Help  (Read 1502 times)

Tuxornot

Modem Help
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a mess with my VDSL connection, Its less then two weeks since it went live and I have run in a couple of problems. First one was the ISP supplied router, it was faulty on arrival, it connects to the service but can not pass WAN to LAN and the IPS seems to ignore my request for a replacement.

Luckily I have a vigor 130 modem but it has a fault, it will not hold its tag value and it causes a lot of ES errors and dropouts that has resulted in my fastpast being changed to interleaved at 642 and then after a few days to 1282, the cause of this has been identified by both the ISP and Draytek.

Now I have a choice here, either exchange the 130 or have it refunded, I will decide that later but for now I have a zyxel router in modem bridge connected to my pfsense firewall. What I need help with is I could do with a spare modem of some sort and was wondering if a    HG612 would do, I'm guessing it should be a rev b3 ?

Also could kind person advise if a used HG612 will go into modem bridge and will work on a VDSL BT line with a vlan tag of 101 and priority setting of 0, If so I can grab one, otherwise its either take the chance on a replacement vigor or get a router and put that in bridge mode.

---

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Modem Help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »

Also could kind person advise if a used HG612 will go into modem bridge and will work on a VDSL BT line with a vlan tag of 101 and priority setting of 0, If so I can grab one, otherwise its either take the chance on a replacement vigor or get a router and put that in bridge mode.

---

Yes, that will be its default state

Tuxornot

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

Hey thanks for the speedy reply  ;D

Default will do thank yee kindly.

--

Tuxornot

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

I now have a HG612  that I unlocked and recapped working fine  ;D

For reference, I use pfsense and access the modem GUI using this guide :

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Accessing_modem_from_inside_firewall

On the HG612 basic > Wan un-tick  port binding for LAN 1 and LAN 2. 

Connected to LAN 1 allows WAN and the GUI. Of course this wouldn't be so easy without the information I got from this forum, Thanks  :)

--
--

anything