Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Waiting list - Is the cabinet already full?  (Read 1888 times)

13Xs

Waiting list - Is the cabinet already full?
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »

I live in a new build that - after three months of faffing about with clearing blockages - is finally connected to Openreach's copper network. There are about 80 flats and residents have started receiving activation dates for FTTC ranging from the start of next week (like myself) to the end of the month.

As of this morning, BT's DSL checker is showing that a wait list is in place. Does this mean that the cabinet has already filled, so we are all temporarily stuffed, or does it take into account the large backlog of activations that are due to go through?

Cheers.

lee111s

• Reg Member
Re: Waiting list - Is the cabinet already full?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »

Likely just needing a new line card added,

Could take days to weeks to months. Usually a couple of weeks if no extra tie pairs needed.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »

It's probably taking into account  the existing orders. When our cab was full an address check would show a waiting list, but telephone number would show as available as we already had fttc on that number.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »

It definitely counts active orders. If you have placed an order then you are fine. If a new cabinet receives a large amount of orders in a short space of time and jumps to a waiting list, it likely only needs new line cards.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

13Xs

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

Thanks John, you were right. The line was activated today so the wait list must take active orders into account.

I'm currently syncing at 37.5Mbps - 2Mbps below the low end of the clean line estimate. I will ask for a DLM reset as it initially synced at 48Mbps but it later started dropping out every two minutes and the sync speed went as low as 5Mbps (a telephone engineer phoned me immediately afterwards to say he had been fixing a fault with my new line). I'm guessing that was not good for my sync speed.

Edit: I sync at 56Mbps through the test socket. How can the extension wiring be so cheap in a new build? Ugh. Anyway, Hyperoptic is going live in a few months so I'll jump ship then.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:57:32 PM by burakkucat »

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »

Thanks John, you were right. The line was activated today so the wait list must take active orders into account.

I'm currently syncing at 37.5Mbps - 2Mbps below the low end of the clean line estimate. I will ask for a DLM reset as it initially synced at 48Mbps but it later started dropping out every two minutes and the sync speed went as low as 5Mbps (a telephone engineer phoned me immediately afterwards to say he had been fixing a fault with my new line). I'm guessing that was not good for my sync speed.

Edit: I sync at 56Mbps through the test socket. How can the extension wiring be so cheap in a new build? Ugh. Anyway, Hyperoptic is going live in a few months so I'll jump ship then.

My new build "internal wiring" caused the sync to go from 2.8meg at the BT66 entry point to 0.6meg at the test socket. A mere 5m of crap builder installed cabling from the BT66 to the master socket.

Glad I got it sorted though, god knows how much it would affect FTTC (when the local power grid get their fingers out and connect our cab to the juice!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:58:09 PM by burakkucat »