Announcements > News Articles

ASA say BT's most powerful signal ad misleading

(1/3) > >>

renluop:
See here

broadstairs:
I think the issue with this and much other advertising is not that the specifics cannot be proven, many probably can, bu the fact that it in my view deliberately tries to con the ordinary end user into thinking that everyone irrespective of their situation will achieve what is advertised. It is in my view completely unacceptable for any company to advertise in this way, they should be forced into being realistic about real world expectations. It is not just BT, although this advert is laughable if you have a modicum of knowledge, but many other tech companies who just try to con people.

Stuart

Chrysalis:
yeah they all guilty of this, VM seems to be the worst culprit.

The problem with what the ASA are doing tho is that they effectively allowing them to run these type of adverts, because the CPs know it will take time for a complaint to go in, then for an investigation before finally been told to take the advert down, by then the advert has done its job. There is no fine's, just a prod to say take the advert down.

niemand:
Anyone actually read the ASA's adjudication? The issue appeared to be with not mentioning that the comparison was only against the 'big boys', nothing to do with testing methodology.

--- Quote ---BT said it additionally tested the kit in 10 homes of "differing construction types," before concluding that the lab results reflected those found in real homes. It added that the claims only related to the "capabilities of the router" and not to the "overall broadband speed." In other words, the Wi-Fi signal was tested independently of the network.

The ASA found BT's thorough testing of its Wi-Fi signal to be sufficient, but the telecoms giant had failed to make it clear to consumers that the evidence it provided related only to major broadband competitors and not the whole market
--- End quote ---

Fining advertisers is probably not the way to go unless the issue is really extreme.

sevenlayermuddle:
I find it somewhat surprising that seemingly educated people even entertain the idea that a router with a 'powerful WiFi' would be beneficial.  Isn't it obvious to everybody that WiFi is a two way communication?   

What would be the point of your laptop/tablet/whatever being able to pick up your high powered router at long distance, unless the tablet etc was similarly high powered, in order to transmit back again? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version