Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub 5 Replacement  (Read 2017 times)

Retro~Burn

• Just arrived
BT Home Hub 5 Replacement
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »

I'm looking to replace the BT Home Hub 5 we're currently using at home. We purchased it in Jan '16 and it worked fined until around Jan of this year. Issue is when we browse to a website we'll get a "page cannot be displayed" error and this occurs on any browser and all devices over LAN/Wi-Fi. When I've run the Troubleshooter in IE it mentioned the DNS server wasn't responding which tallies with my own research on the matter. The only workaround is to go into the IPV4 settings on the ethernet adapter and enter the preferred and alternative address for Google servers. I understand this is a common thing for the Home Hub routers.

Now, I've found the following router:

TP-Link AC2600 (Archer VR2600)
TP Link Archer VR2600 Page

It seems fine and has very positive reviews on Amazon.

Is the router above a good replacement? Or are there better alternatives?

Thanks

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: BT Home Hub 5 Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:59:53 PM »

I don't know much about the Home Hub 5 but have you tried a hard reset on it? ie start from scratch?

Otherwise if you must buy a new router, then yes the VR2600 is an excellent high end all-in-one router. It uses a Broadcom modem chipset and has the latest Wave2 QCA radios so will give you superb wifi coverage - far better than ISP supplied routers.

BigJ

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Replacement
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:41:10 PM »

You could also take a look in the VDSL2 Modem Router thread for some other options.