Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 8800NL R2 - Server set up for IPv6  (Read 1810 times)

AndrueC

Billion 8800NL R2 - Server set up for IPv6
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »

Hi,
Has anyone managed to set a Billion 8800NL R2 up such that it exposes specific ports of a device over IPv6? It looks like you have to set configure incoming filter rules but the only rule that has worked for me so far is when I set the protocol to 'Any'. Unfortunately this routes all traffic through so is effectively putting the device into a DMZ  :o

As I understand it this ought to do what I want (this is just for the WebMail UI and ICMP at present) but it doesn't.

The rules defined there don't allow any kind of incoming connection  :(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Billion 8800NL R2 - Server set up for IPv6
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »

should be a ipv6 port forwarding section which opens the ports, whilst ipv6 doesnt have ipv4 nat, router interfaces tend to follow the same type of controls I assume to avoid consumer confusion.

AndrueC

Re: Billion 8800NL R2 - Server set up for IPv6
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »

Yeah, I was almost right but was stymied by a poor manual (and maybe a lack of understanding on my part).

It turns out that on that configuration page 'source port' refers to the port that the remote machine will use to receive packets. So in practice it should be left as 'Any' since 99% of the time TCP will negotiate a separate port for the actual conversation.

As noted at the bottom of the thread the manual appears to be up the creek as well as unclear  ::)

anything