Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR question  (Read 1460 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
SNR question
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »

I've noticed over the last 2 days the SNR for uploading as gone from the usual 6.1 first down to 5.7 last night and this morning its at 5.5

I've never noticed much change on the upload snr. Is this indicating any problems or would you think its a blip? I was also wondering if it was anything to do with these ECI G.INP changes. I noticed BT has been around the local area down the road from my cabinet, and on the 22nd of June they will be working right next to it.

I have noticed the line quality slowly decline recently and I probably need a reboot soon as I had to reboot in the afternoon when for some reason I lost connection and couldnt get it back without rebooting the modem. I'm half wondering if it might be the modem struggling.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: SNR question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »

On its own, I'd say a change in SNRM by about 0.5 dB is insignificant and does not warrant any investigation.

You appear to be running a HG612, but on the old firmware? Is there some reason you're not running the latest firmware?

In general, many of the Openreach FTTC modems will be reaching the end of their expected lifespan (maybe 5 years).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »

I'm not a fan of change lol.

I have another modem here that I'm going to try. I hopefully correctly set it up correctly and that should have the newer firmware on.

Thank you for the reassurance on the snr .5 thing :)

By the way, what time of day is recommended to reboot a modem? Morning, Afternoon or Evening?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »

By the way, what time of day is recommended to reboot a modem? Morning, Afternoon or Evening?

Every line is different and it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you were aiming for maximum bandwidth, you might reboot whenever the SNRM is at its highest over the course of the day, typically this might be in the morning. If you wanted maximum stability and fewer errors, you would reboot whenever the SNRM is at its lowest, which would often be at night.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »

I believe the a2pv6c035m.d22g firmware you are running doesn't support G.INP so if you are waiting for OpenReach to roll it out to ECI cabinets then it would be worth updating it
The latest firmware can be found here
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM