Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help Configuring an HG612 and an Asus RT-N66U for a Vodafone Service  (Read 1860 times)

kieran0065

[Moderator note: These posts have been split from the Vodafone HHG2500 thread.]

Hello,

So i was able to crack my User info with hash cat a few weeks ago and then also got it from Vodafone. I have one question to which i might just be being naive, but i have a HG612 and my Asus RT-N66U behind it, and i was wondering if some one could point me in the right direction to set both of these up to achieve the best performance out of my 76Mb/s connection. I know both of them are not the *best* equipment to have, but its what i got for now. I have however been suffering from an issue since Day 0 on them and that's apparently the Fibre Line from my cab to the exchange is congested and BT are going to be installing a new line within the next week, funnily enough i had none of these issue when i was on Sky and connecting to the same cab :/. But anyways i was just wondering if there's any tinkering i can do with the modem and router to get the best speeds i can out of my connection.

Thanks.

P.S: I have a technical background, so im not technically inept.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:31:26 AM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help Configuring an HG612 and an Asus RT-N66U for a Vodafone Service
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:25:19 AM »

You should start with the HG612 in its default (but unlocked) configuration. With the device powered up but with nothing connected to any of its ports, press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds. (I usually hold it for 30 seconds, just to be sure.) Once you have released the reset button leave the device alone for the next five minutes.

Now go to the Basic ---> PTM screen and delete the VLAN with the 301 tag. That will neuter the pesky BTAgent. Don't delete the other VLAN, tagged 101, as that is essential for your connection.

The HG612 is now ready for service.

As for the configuration of the Asus RT-N66U, I will have to leave that for others to guide you as I have no experience with the device.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kieran0065

Re: Help Configuring an HG612 and an Asus RT-N66U for a Vodafone Service
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »

You should start with the HG612 in its default (but unlocked) configuration. With the device powered up but with nothing connected to any of its ports, press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds. (I usually hold it for 30 seconds, just to be sure.) Once you have released the reset button leave the device alone for the next five minutes.

Now go to the Basic ---> PTM screen and delete the VLAN with the 301 tag. That will neuter the pesky BTAgent. Don't delete the other VLAN, tagged 101, as that is essential for your connection.

The HG612 is now ready for service.

As for the configuration of the Asus RT-N66U, I will have to leave that for others to guide you as I have no experience with the device.

I have my HG612 setup already in PPPoE_Briged mode, I have a feeling there isn't much I can really do with it. I feel it's more of waiting in Vodafone/Openreach to fix the cab-exchange connection to remove this congestion that surprisingly only stated once I switched over to Vodafone... which makes it impossible to watch Streams or get good consistent download speeds. At the moment, I can download something, it'll reach like 6MBs and then slow down to around 800Kbps then jump back up to 6MB and just do this for a while.. it's like my line isn't stable what's so ever, even though Vodafone are adiment that my line is perfectly fine, apart from the congestion on the street side cab...