Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help Configuring a TG589vac v2 for a Vodafone Service  (Read 2293 times)

ElwoodP

• Just arrived
Help Configuring a TG589vac v2 for a Vodafone Service
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »

Hi All,

I wanted to use a 3rd party router with Vodafone so I could disable SIP ALG and get my VOIP  phone to work. So Vodafone support gave me their list and I bought a Technicolor TG589vac v2 which allows SIP ALG to be turned off.

They have supplied Username and Password for PPP connection which I have entered in the settings. Connect it up and the Broadband reads as connected but the PPP will not connect.

Any advice on fixing?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help Configuring a TG589vac v2 for a Vodafone Service
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

They have supplied Username and Password for PPP connection which I have entered in the settings. Connect it up and the Broadband reads as connected but the PPP will not connect.

Any advice on fixing?

Have you entered the credentials as: your_login@broadband.vodafone.co.uk and your_password ? It appears that VF CS fail to explicitly state the required "@b . . . uk" part of the login string.

Have you set the device to act as a PPPoE client, to operate in PTM (Packet Transfer Mode) and to use a VLAN tagged 101?

As far as I am aware, the above is all that should be necessary.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ElwoodP

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »

Thanks Burakkucat

Vodafone supplied username with "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk" so yes this is entered correctly.

There are no options for PTM or VLAN.

---

Reading through this thread I see someone writes Vodafone do not support IPv6 only IPv4. This router looks to only support IPv6. Could this be the problem? If so I'm super peed they've advised me to buy an unsupported router!

Telephoned support to ask and they insisted all routers on list are supported. They didn't seem to understand the question about IPv6 support thinking it was the name of a router, was a bit frustrating.

I guess I need to know for sure if this is a potential problem and whether they do indeed support or not?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »

I do not have any knowledge of (or experience with) a Technicolor TG589vac v2, so I'm not sure what to suggest.  :-\

Perhaps it would be best for you to start your own thread, asking for help in configuring the above device. By doing so, your problem will then get the exposure it deserves and will not be lost in amongst the discussion of the HHG2500.

Edited to add that I have just performed the split and new thread creation, on your behalf.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:47:10 PM by burakkucat »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »

Why do you think the router only supports IPv6. I would suggest that is very unlikely. There shouldn't be any problem with IPv4.
Have you set the VLan Id as Burakkucat stated, that is crucial on a VDSL2 connection.

ElwoodP

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

Thank you Burakkucat for starting the new thread.

I figured it out. I missed some options, the UI is a little janky and some options are hidden until you scroll (and no scroll bar to indicate this!).

So for anyone else needing to set this router up:

Under Gateway, scroll dow -> click "setup your gateway" -> IPv6 set to Off -> VLAN set to On "101"

ElwoodP

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »

@RealAleMadrid

You are right that VLan was the issue, tx :)

I tried connecting with IPv6 set to on and it does work but there is a constant "IPv6 Connecting" message in the router UI. So I guess Vodafone doesn't support and I have switched it off again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »

Team-work prevails.  ;D