Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router, AP & Sonos  (Read 1785 times)

MrWhite

• Just arrived
Router, AP & Sonos
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »

I have had an issue with the songs app not being able to connect after roaming between my router and AP.  I’ve got the following setup

Vodafone router. wired devices are:
1. Sonos speaker
2. Powerline adapter - in turn connected via the other adapter to a 4 port unmanaged switch which has TV, blu-ray and NAS connected
3. Ethernet port on the wall.  This is then wired via un-managed PoE switch to the AP - A Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro

With this setup, I found that with a ‘fresh’ setup, i.e everything powered off, then on, the sonos app can see the speaker when connecting via wifi from the vodafone router.  Roaming to pick up the AP, no problems either.  Moving back to the router, then the connection is lost.

After some testing, I was convinced this was the router.  To get around the issue,  I plugged my old Netgear DGN2000 into the router and used it to provide the wifi.  No issues with roaming at all.

Yesterday, I decided to swap out my ‘two box’ solution and installed a TP-Link VR600.  Unfortunately, the same issue occurs.  Again, using the Netgear for the wifi, solves the issue.

I’m at a loss as to what the problem can be!

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Router, AP & Sonos
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »

Hi

My initial thought would be wifi isolation

Sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

andyfitter

• Reg Member

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.  I don't think it's wireless isolation - I've checked these and the options are disabled.

In terms of STP neither router has options/support for this, so not really sure how I would test whether this is causing the issue or not.  Any advice?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »

Sorry, not sure I can. Maybe there's something available from a command line login via ssh? Might be worth visiting a forum dedicated to the router itself. I've got an Asus router which has an option to enable/disable stp. With it turned off my sonos often misbehaves in a similar way.

Is the sonos at the 'other' end of the power line? Might be worth swapping it if possible to the other side and seeing if the problem persists, or temporarily replacing power line with a long cable?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »

There's also an option within the sonos controller app to use either your standard wifi or 'sonos net'. Might be worth swapping as a test. 

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »

Hi,

The speaker is NOT on the other end of the powerline, it's wired directly to the router.

I'll try and use the wireless set up, but was hoping to keep the SonosNet set up

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »

Ok. If it's NOT at the other end then I guess that's NOT your problem.

I did have some other suggestions but maybe you should try asking Sonos instead.

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

Thanks @andyfitter.  I've got a thread open on the sonos forum too, so will see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for your input.

anything