Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What could the engineer have done to my line?  (Read 1780 times)

gazaai

• Reg Member
What could the engineer have done to my line?
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »

Hi all, earlier this evening I spotted an open reach engineer climb the pole outside my home and ever since my line stats have went terrible. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything I can do at this point :-\. Although what do you think has happened here?

Thanks
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What could the engineer have done to my line?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:00:08 AM »

That 1dB jitter is familiar to what a couple of us on ECI cabs have experienced.
Out of interest you could try switching of your modem for a couple of hours.  Sometimes (but not always) that can clear the jitter.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »

That 1dB jitter is familiar to what a couple of us on ECI cabs have experienced.
Out of interest you could try switching of your modem for a couple of hours.  Sometimes (but not always) that can clear the jitter.
Ok well it seems to have cleared itself for now anyway but has lost a fair bit of SNR. If the jitter returns I will turn off the modem for a couple of hours. Thanks
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »

. . . it seems to have cleared itself for now anyway but has lost a fair bit of SNR. If the jitter returns I will turn off the modem for a couple of hours.

The best time for performing the "power off, allow the circuit to relax procedure" would be overnight.

A small correction to your statement; it is not SNR that you have lost but SNRM. There is a significant difference between the two quantities.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »

As B*cat quite rightly says SNRMargin and SNR are not the same thing, they do have some type of correlation.   I would not be surprised if the line has also lost a similar amount of true SNR.

Obviously I dont know for certain what caused this, but one thought is that the engineer could have been doing some sort of re-wiring that could have shifted a neighbouring pair within the same bundle.  This could then introduce crosstalk on to gazaai's line.  Note how things were better for a short while (possibly whilst the other line was disconnected.  If he reconnected to a pair more adjacent to Gazaai's, it could possibly cause more crosstalk than the previous pair did.

I really do wish I knew what causes that jitter. All that I know is that on my line it can sometimes happen after remote sync if I come back up before my cross-talker, or Ive also seen it happen a couple of times after a crosstalker resync.

Although GaZaai says its now settled, but it does look like it has only done so after some remote action (resync) by one of his crosstalkers and he has lost even a bit more SNRm 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything