Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Today's shock resync  (Read 8593 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Today's shock resync
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »

DSLstats does do a number of floating point calculations in the graphing, but all of these instances are error trapped and shouldn't result in a floating point error message for the user. But it does use a lot of library functions, and it's possible that the FP error originates in one of these. I do have access to all the source code, but there's a lot of it, and chasing down a FP error which I can't reproduce is beyond me. I think that these errors only occur as a result of discontinuities in the data flow between the program and the modem, hence the advice to use a direct (and good quality) connection.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »

@ roseway
@ d2d4j
Thanks I understand a bit better now.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »

A quick check with AM radio revealed pulsation near answerphone base unit. It was at ~ 1 sec intervals, not loud, more like gentle hand clapping, like metronome.

Of any significance?

It's impossible to say. You might have heard exactly the same thing on the AM radio in the same place when the broadband was working fine. You could try unplugging the answerphone's phone and power connections, and seeing if it makes any difference to your broadband.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »

It's impossible to say. You might have heard exactly the same thing on the AM radio in the same place when the broadband was working fine. You could try unplugging the answerphone's phone and power connections, and seeing if it makes any difference to your broadband.
This time the pulses were faster. I did as suggested, then restarted the router. Resync was insignificantly increased by about 30  kbps.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »

I was thinking about possible floating point errors :-\ we generally use unbuffered memory which does not have the ninth bit check? (I think it's 9 :fingers:)
I wonder if in certain computers this may manifest itself as a calculation error which windows has had some famous examples of in the past.
Below is a link to how floating point errors are dealt with
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html
This is way out of my comfort zone of understanding :-[
I wondered if the same errors would appear in a fully buffered computer memory, or am I being too 'out there'.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »

Hi parkdale

That's heavy reading

I think this is no longer an issue, for 2 reasons, firstly, renluop system I thought was dell, and would be accounted for FP, and secondly, it would have been very quickly picked up if the dell had an issue on FP, by the number of users of the dell pc

I do remember the start of FP, and we could set FP at bios level (enable/disable etc), which for many years has not been a bios option (similarly, we could set timings - think it was option between 2086 and 3086 systems)

I could be wrong sorry, as now feeling soo old

Many thanks

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything