Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is 802.1P ?  (Read 8153 times)

Tuxornot

What is 802.1P ?
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

Hi,

I've been lurking in the forum for a few weeks to gleen info on vdsl because I am moving soon from adsl and I wanted to find out about vdsl modems, the best place for this is here because I have learned so much, I must thank every one who posts here for that  :)

What I need to know is what is 802.1P priority in the vdsl settings, I notice a lot of ISP's seem to use 0 or 1 but my new ISP uses 7.

Now as far as I can gather from reading manuals of other routers is some, EG tplink don't seem to have a setting for 802.1P priority that I can see, hence asking what it is and how important is it ?

My new ISP is sending out a basic Asus router [ Lantiq chipset ] and I have bought a Zyxel router [ broadcom chipset ], I have now the option to test both for best performance. Both of these have the 802.1P priority setting. I have a feeling I may be stuck with routers that only have this setting  :(

I intend to use the router in bridge mode to my pfsense firewall and an AP for wifi.

--

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: What is 802.1P ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »

Welcome, as a contributor, to the Kitz forum.  :)

There is a useful Wikipedia page that provides a synopsis of IEEE P802.1p which includes a table of priority levels.

The IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee main page shows a list of IEEE 802 Working Groups and Study Groups, one of which is the 802.1 Higher Layer LAN Protocols Working Group.

My very limited understanding of P802.1p is that it is intimately related to the QoS of G.993.2 based links. Hence if one is not able to define a value -- the CPE does not have an appropriate mechanism for doing so (a configuration option) -- then the service obtained will be somewhat sub-optimal.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Tuxornot

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »

Thank you for replying with enough info to read and keep me awake all night  :)

This bit is what I needed to know:

'' My very limited understanding of P802.1p is that it is intimately related to the QoS of G.993.2 based links. Hence if one is not able to define a value -- the CPE does not have an appropriate mechanism for doing so (a configuration option) -- then the service obtained will be somewhat sub-optimal ''

This answers my question and could possibly save headaches trying various routers, I will stick to models with that has that option.

Thanks again burakkucat.
--

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:38 PM »

Thanks again burakkucat.

You are welcome. But please don't take my reply as a full and definitive statement of fact . . . it is just my own understanding. Other members will, I'm sure, add their own knowledge to this thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »

SIN498 covers what Openreach require of FTTC modems to connect to their network.

If you search the document for 'priority marking' you will see how Openreach or ISPs can use 802.1p

I generally advise getting a SIN498 compliant modem as that is what Openreach test against when making changes to their network - some details at http://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498 over the risks of not doing so.

Of the makes you mention, ZyXel modems meet the SIN498 standard, but Asus refuse to make a UK firmware version which meets its requirements (they offer some options in their firmware which could affect other users) but if you have the model numbers someone could advise further

Tuxornot

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »

Thank you for your replies gt94sss2 and burakkucat,

The ISP router is an Asus DSL-N16 and as I found today its a MediaTek MT7510 chipset not Lantiq as I was informed, it seems to be a basic router. It looks like I will be connected a ECI cab, finding that was interesting, I nearly took up cab spotting for a new hobby !

The Zyxel I have is a  VMG1312-B10D that I picked up off a well known auction site, I cleared the ROM and flashed it with the latest firmware.

What ever I use will be in modem mode as I use pfsense. So far I am still on Adsl for a week so cant test the Zyxel, testing on Adsl in bridge mode was interesting, the Zyxel connects and I get stats ok but it wont connect to pfsense unless I delete the Zyxel interfaces and create a new one, if the modem drops or reboots then I have to create a new interface, very quirky but keeps me interested  ;)

After reading through the forums here I decided on the Zyxel, it was a last minute haggle and a good deal, however I would like another router, anything so long as it has the priority setting, meaning Zyxel or billion. I did consider a HG612 3B, even though I can mod it, looking at the user guides i have seen, the priority setting seems limited to low or high and I don't want to take the chance.

This is going it be fun, my reward for picking an ISP with an oddball setting !

EDIT: I have been looking at the Vigor 130, I wonder how it fairs with ECI cabs, I have seem some mixed comments about it.

--

--
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:00:41 AM by Tuxornot »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »

Code: [Select]
EDIT: I have been looking at the Vigor 130, I wonder how it fairs with ECI cabs, I have seem some mixed comments about it.

I rate my Vigor 130 quite highly. Maybe get one from Amazon, then if it doesn't suit your line or needs you can easily return it...

Tuxornot

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »

I rate my Vigor 130 quite highly. Maybe get one from Amazon, then if it doesn't suit your line or needs you can easily return it...

You know, thats what I have just ordered, I gave up on the Zyxel, tried a few things to get it to stay online to adsl, it wont, that alone should have alerted me to something being wrong, taking some 15 minutes to boot and connect up, it was only by chance I found that there is no wifi working, wifi led is on but no signals coming out of it  :(

Hopefully the 130 will just what I need. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

--

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Devices supplied by ISPs should meet the SIN498 requirements. The chipset itself has apparently passed comparable testing: http://www.econet-inc.com/en/1_1_newsview.php?news_id=103 (I think there's a clause in the Openreach FTTC contracts that allows for devices not tested by Openreach themselves, but they must have been tested to the same requirements).

Tuxornot

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »

Thanks for the link, interesting read now I know what the standards are, a few days ago I was in the dark but thanks to the links I have in my replies to this post I have a bit more understanding.

Things where a lot simpler in the days of freeserve penny a minute dial up !

--

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

You can use baby jumbo frames with the Vigor 130 which is nice. Not all routers do support them, but the Asus in my sig. with the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware allows to set max MTU 1500 rather than the regular PPPOE 1492.
C:\Users\Me>ping -f -l 1472 bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.79] with 1472 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.79: bytes=1472 time=12ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.79:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 12ms

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »

Tuxornot

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »

Thats pretty neat, thank you for the info and link, I use linux and tried the 'ping -s 1472' command but got no reply, after some head scratching I realised I have a pfsense rule to limit ping to local only, disabled it to test the command.

However my new ISP seems to limit MTU to 1480 and MSS to 1440, I need MTU to 1480, I need to read through your link to  get an idea of any implications this may have.

Thanks again  :)

Tuxornot

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about 802.1P, I now have some understanding of it.

I went live with FFTC at 7 am this morning, I noticed because for the last few days I had my Asus dsl-n16 hooked up to adsl, it went off so I created a new connection for the VDSL, after some disconnects I had a connection or so it seemed, the router showed a connection and showed it was online and I could ping to my hearts content from the router but go no replies from tracerts using the routers test options.

I left the router connected for about 5 hours but was miffed as to why it could ping but not tracert ( no internet as such )

I called the ISP support and they couldn't understand it either but suggested I leave it till past midnight before calling again.

Luckily I ordered a vigor 130 some days ago so decided to connected that up instead, BINGO ! connected no problem.

During my somewhat retrained contact with the ISP support I had the support guy check my settings and found out that the 802.1P should be 0 not 7 as shown in the ISP set up guide, thats ZERO a big fat 0. This of course relates to my original question about 802.1P because from my understanding the usual setting for UK ISP's is 0 and I was looking for routers / modems that could be set for 7, as I now know, a pointless waste of time thanks to a stupid error in a set up guide.

I said here I used my own dsl-n16, I used it for adsl for a year or so, I had to use it because my ISP sent me another dsl-n16 pre-configured , sadly it lasted about half an hour before it refused to allow lan connections, I rebooted it but the lights came on, then went off and stayed off.

So out came the vigor 130, tested it on a direct PPPOE to a PC then hooked it my pfsense firewall after setting up its wan interface.

This is what I Get from the vigor console with vdsl status.

I'm on a 38/10 service.

> vdsl status

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 39993000 bps    US Actual Rate       :  9995000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 47279544 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 12484715 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast
   DS Interleave Depth     :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
   NE Current Attenuation  :   19 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        8  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     5. 9 dB   US actual PSD        :     6. 1  dB
   NE CRC Count            :       55       FE CRC Count         :       51
   NE ES Count             :        40       FE  ES Count         :       21
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        2
   ITU Version[0]          : b5004946       ITU Version[1]       : 544e0000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support]
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
   Test Mode               : DISABLE