Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?  (Read 7304 times)

loveextasy

ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »

Hi all,

I have got a very annoying problem with my SBG3300 router....

It was fine a year ago, however after I used a Powerline adaptor to form a cabled network between up and down-stairs the problem happened and never ends (well, until now)

I realised the router reboot itself randomly after 1-2 days of the Powerline use, then I doubt it might be the issue so removed the Powerline, but not good, problem still there. Then I switched the ZyXEL power adaptor with another one that is the same spec but different brand, it seemed to improved a little bit - from 4 times' reboot to once per day (or might be less than once per day).

I then asked ZyXEL's customer support but they said they did not experience such problem before and asked for an RMA but the replace unit acting the same, slight improvement to 2-3 days per reboot, and I can live on with that.

However the last unit became faulty last month so I have to send it back to CS again for a replacement, and they give me a slightly different model: SBG3300-NB00 (Annex B) instead of the faulty's N000 (Annex A), then the problem become the worst, 1-2 reboots per day. I decided to buy an UPS trying to solve it.

Not really the solution though - Router still rebooting, but I noticed the Synology NAS which connected to UPS, reporting "Connection lost to UPS" and "Connected to UPS", only 1-5 seconds between these 2 status, and happened 3-4 times within a very short period of time (might be within 1 min).

By the way, even the NAS which connected to the same UPS is still running good (and that's why I can get the "UPS connections" logs/messages).

So, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue or can give any advice to it please? Also wondering if change the router to another brand and model would solve it (i.e. TP-Link VR600 or ASUS DSL-AC88)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Chong
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:10:32 AM by loveextasy »

loveextasy

Re: ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »

To update:

seems like it is the router's firmware problem..... contacted technical support of ZyXEL and they asked me to update the firmware to the latest 1.01 C6 and seems like the issue is gone - continuously running for more than a week now, so I believe it should be solved.

However did not understand that this issue kept happening to me for more than 1.5 years including the previous N000 and the replaced NB00 both if which were released more than 2 years ago but seems like the issue was just solved in 2017 (pretty sure the firmware release date is March or April 2017)....don't know if this issue was only discovered by me, or it is really hard to solve :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »

It looks as if it was a very specific problem and nobody here could think of anything to suggest for you to try.  :(

I'm pleased to know that the problem does now appear to be solved.  :fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loveextasy

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »

It looks as if it was a very specific problem and nobody here could think of anything to suggest for you to try.  :(

I'm pleased to know that the problem does now appear to be solved.  :fingers:

Thanks for your post :)

Now the problem seems to be happening again. The reason I thought it was solved I think was because the WiFi did not work for some reason, and I failed to turn it back on without rebooting.

When I had to setup the wireless CCTV I had to reboot to actually allow the WiFi to be working, and after my reboot, it started to reboot itself randomly again, the 1st time I noticed was after 20 hours of my manual switch on and off....

So, I believe this would be because of WiFi or power adaptor issues?

Any ideas or past experience from any of you would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »

Now the problem seems to be happening again. The reason I thought it was solved I think was because the WiFi did not work for some reason, and I failed to turn it back on without rebooting.
I very much suspect you've got a problem with your mains electrical supply.

Please tell us which country/area you're in and what the standard AC mains voltage and frequency is.

Can you identify a pattern of regular times or gaps between events from the UPS/NAS logs you're capturing?

Do you live close to an industrial area where there may be large machines putting heavy load on your local sub-station (transformer) ?

Do you have any high-demand equipment switching on and off several times a day, e.g. air conditioning unit. If you're on a shared supply does one or more of your neighbours have such equipment operating when you experience problems?

Are your shared-supply neighbours also using network powerline equipment - that signal could be affecting your supply ?

Have you tried - as a test to rule in or out the mains electrical supply - operating the router from a 12 volt battery (e.g. a car battery) ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »

Surely the UPS should negate any power supply defects?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:55 AM »

Surely the UPS should negate any power supply defects?

It depends on which type of UPS is being used. Domestic ones are often of the 'Standby' type that only switch in the inverter when the power fails, so you are still running off of the raw mains.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

loveextasy

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »

I very much suspect you've got a problem with your mains electrical supply.

Please tell us which country/area you're in and what the standard AC mains voltage and frequency is.

Can you identify a pattern of regular times or gaps between events from the UPS/NAS logs you're capturing?

Do you live close to an industrial area where there may be large machines putting heavy load on your local sub-station (transformer) ?

Do you have any high-demand equipment switching on and off several times a day, e.g. air conditioning unit. If you're on a shared supply does one or more of your neighbours have such equipment operating when you experience problems?

Are your shared-supply neighbours also using network powerline equipment - that signal could be affecting your supply ?

Have you tried - as a test to rule in or out the mains electrical supply - operating the router from a 12 volt battery (e.g. a car battery) ?

Thanks for your reply :)

I am in the UK, Dartford area (Southeast to London, just outside M25), semi-suburban residential area.

The events are irregular, but only happen when the router restarts. It then reports 4 sets of repeated events (lost connection to UPS, restored connection to UPS), and interval will only be <5 seconds between any of them.

The closest industrial area is about 2 miles away crow-fly distance, but I'm not sure if we are sharing the local sub-station. But some of the evens are happening during the night, so I don't think it is the main reason.

I don't know whether the neighbours' are using powerline equipment :(

No, never tried on battery - and don't know if that can diagnose the problem - sometimes it can take up to 3 days for the next random rebooting to happen.

By the way, I am using a domestic APC Back-up ES550 UPS. I have had some power losses and the NAS hasn't lost power supply thanks to it, and during some of the mains power lost, the router managed to maintain power supply as well.

So it is really confusing, the only thing I can think of is the router's fault, but I have been replaced with ZyXEL for 3 units already, and all of them have the same issue...

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:30:00 AM by loveextasy »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

Have you tried plugging the router directly into the mains to rule out any issues with the UPS?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

loveextasy

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »

Have you tried plugging the router directly into the mains to rule out any issues with the UPS?

Yes - the UPS was bought to solve it, but apprently failed  :(

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »

... but I noticed the Synology NAS which connected to UPS, reporting "Connection lost to UPS" and "Connected to UPS", only 1-5 seconds between these 2 status, and happened 3-4 times within a very short period of time (might be within 1 min).
These reports are presumably reporting the data-connection from the NAS to the UPS so are likely unrelated to the actual power outages. If they occur at the same time as power outages then the UPS is failing in some way.

I would strongly suspect the mains frequency is unstable (should be a nominal 50Hz +/- 1Hz). Some equipment (power supplies) can be very sensitive to such things.

The fact you've gone through three routers so far definitely points to some issue with your local wiring or incoming supply and a common design issue with the Zyxel power supplies.

If you have (or can borrow) a fully charged 12v car battery for a few days it would be well worth using it to try to prove the problem is on the power supply side rather than in the router itself.

loveextasy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »

These reports are presumably reporting the data-connection from the NAS to the UPS so are likely unrelated to the actual power outages. If they occur at the same time as power outages then the UPS is failing in some way.

I would strongly suspect the mains frequency is unstable (should be a nominal 50Hz +/- 1Hz). Some equipment (power supplies) can be very sensitive to such things.

The fact you've gone through three routers so far definitely points to some issue with your local wiring or incoming supply and a common design issue with the Zyxel power supplies.

If you have (or can borrow) a fully charged 12v car battery for a few days it would be well worth using it to try to prove the problem is on the power supply side rather than in the router itself.

thanks for your advice :) and will try to borrow a car battery...

However as one of my above replies said, when the router is turning off WiFi (by itself for some reason), it run continuously for more than 60 days...until I found the Wifi is not working (I have another wireless router connected as WiFi extender) and restarted it, then the problem was back...

Do you have any ideas on this kind of issue?

Thanks

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »

However as one of my above replies said, when the router is turning off WiFi (by itself for some reason), it run continuously for more than 60 days
That infers power starvation; basically, under high demand the supply voltage drops below the critical threshold and causes the device to reboot (WiFi radio alters its power output depending on signal quality with connected clients - increasing power for clients with weak signals).

For that to be the reason it'd mean the nominal 12 volt DC supply from the power-supply adapter was not delivering sufficient current (amps).

But as you've gone through several routers and, I gather, associated power supplies, it is hard to accept them all spontaneously developing the same fault without some local mains power fault being the cause.

loveextasy

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

That infers power starvation; basically, under high demand the supply voltage drops below the critical threshold and causes the device to reboot (WiFi radio alters its power output depending on signal quality with connected clients - increasing power for clients with weak signals).

For that to be the reason it'd mean the nominal 12 volt DC supply from the power-supply adapter was not delivering sufficient current (amps).

But as you've gone through several routers and, I gather, associated power supplies, it is hard to accept them all spontaneously developing the same fault without some local mains power fault being the cause.

Thanks for your reply.

The NAS is on the same UPS and previously same mains extension board with the router, and it sustained from power off/reboot when the router rebooted... also the rest of

Also used ECI fibre modem and Linksys EA6700 router while awaiting the replacement of current SBG3300, and it seems worked fine...

So really confusing, I would assume just the router's internal power supply is not compatible with my mains power :(

I have tried other brands' routers' power supplies as well (Huawei, Linksys etc) )and just a matter of how long between rebooting, i.e. 1 day for ZyXEL, 2-3 days for Huawei and Linksys. But it definitely rebooting...

Thanks again!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »

I'm hesitant to put my oar in, but my memories of Dartford, having crossed many times from Essex to Kent and back, is a lot of power lines, also three railways routes running through, or maneuvering  at frequent intervals; plenty of scope from the third rail power supply, signals and points motors.

All probably irrelevant!
Pages: [1] 2

anything