Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?  (Read 7365 times)

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXEL router sensitive to Mains Power Supply?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »

I have tried other brands' routers' power supplies as well (Huawei, Linksys etc) )and just a matter of how long between rebooting, i.e. 1 day for ZyXEL, 2-3 days for Huawei and Linksys. But it definitely rebooting...
One aspect we've not considered is 'the other end' of the router, in other words, what is connected to it?

loveextasy

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »

One aspect we've not considered is 'the other end' of the router, in other words, what is connected to it?

Yes, there are 2 devices connected to Etherports, one of them is the Synology NAS, and the other one is the extended router EA6700 as wireless AP upstairs.

No USB or VoIP connection.

The RJ11 is connected to the master socket without faceplate - in the "test socket" for more than a year. But before that it was connected to the master socket with faceplate with the same issue.

Cheers.

loveextasy

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »

I'm hesitant to put my oar in, but my memories of Dartford, having crossed many times from Essex to Kent and back, is a lot of power lines, also three railways routes running through, or maneuvering  at frequent intervals; plenty of scope from the third rail power supply, signals and points motors.

All probably irrelevant!

Ok thanks for your opinion. In these cases I don't think I can do anything but switch to another brand of router :(

Cheers.

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »

The other possibility we've not asked about is over-heating. Is the device positioned where it cannot get sufficient ventilation? Maybe next to a radiator or other source of heat, or where sunlight falls directly on it for significant parts of the day, or it is in a restricted area or covered ?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »

That's a good thought - with the wireless on it will be using more power and hence more prone to overheating.

You could try mounting it vertically which often improves the air flow.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »

I remember a clients netgear modem/router (with a replacement PSU) would work fine untill connected to a long 20 metre LAN cable then the modem/router would just crash and shutdown.

Another replacement PSU sorted that issue.

Ian

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »

Could it be a cheap (faulty) laptop power supply causing the problem?

I've known iffy power supplies cause problems with other near by switch mode power supplies.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »

Ok thanks for your opinion. In these cases I don't think I can do anything but switch to another brand of router :(

Cheers.
I hope you would not do anything on the basis of my opinion. My post was just saying how I saw Dartford just so our expert contributors could comment around that, if they thought fit.

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »

I remember a clients netgear modem/router (with a replacement PSU) would work fine untill connected to a long 20 metre LAN cable then the modem/router would just crash and shutdown.
That would suggest there was a difference in the ground reference voltages.

I had a similar experience with a Raspberry Pi 3 receiving Power over Ethernet (PoE) 802.3af via a TP Link TL-POE10R splitter. It worked fine headless but the moment I tried to connect it to a mains-powered monitor via HDMI it reset and rebooted. It turns out that the TLPOE10R output isn't isolated so the ground-reference voltage in it (relative to the mains ground) was actually at -48V rather than 0V.

loveextasy

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »

That's a good thought - with the wireless on it will be using more power and hence more prone to overheating.

You could try mounting it vertically which often improves the air flow.

Thanks both, that's one thing I haven't considered of, but it is in an isolated small room with the NAS, I will open the door trying to cool it down and see.

Cheers.

loveextasy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »

I hope you would not do anything on the basis of my opinion. My post was just saying how I saw Dartford just so our expert contributors could comment around that, if they thought fit.

got you  ;) Thanks.

loveextasy

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

thanks for all your replies!

Now I reset it and kept almost all the default settings just changing the VDSL interface to connect, and now seems to be stable for more than 2 days already which is a positive sign.

by the way, I have opened the small rooms' door.

I will report back if anything happens or still stable  :D

Thanks a lot!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything