Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Replace HG612 with wifi router....  (Read 1993 times)

Bestgear

Replace HG612 with wifi router....
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »

Hi Guys

Hope someone can point me in a sensible direction.

Been using a "hacked" 612 for years with FTTC PPOE into Untangle. Very happy with the box, getting good speeds on a Huawei cabinet.

I want to swap the HG612 out for a router, with integrated wifi of any spec, so even an 802.11b would be ok!

I dont want to loose the excellent DSLStats info...

Intended direction is to keep untangle behind the "new" router, remove NAT on it, and use the router's wiffi as a guest wifi, ie on the dirty side of untangle.

I have Ubiquiti access points but have never been able to get the guest wifi working as it should, so this is plan B.

So - any models I should be looking at? - just dont want to lose speeds or the level of reporting that DSLstats picks up currently.

Oh - would be good if it was wall mountable too....

Thanks for your time.

David

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Replace HG612 with wifi router....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »

I'll point you to the very first post of this thread and suggest that you research the ZyXEL devices.

For monitoring purposes you will need a device with a Broadcom chipset.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »

You can use any old WiFi router as an Access point, google how to set them up, easy. :)

I would set up a 'Guest LAN' on your 'Untangle box' using a different sub-NET with the Ubiquiti access points fed off that, if you already have them.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

BigJ

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »

I'd suggest getting a router/modem which supports VLANs so you can logically separate the wifi side to be on the clean/internal side of untangle.