Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!  (Read 7577 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »

If you're looking for a combined (All-in-One modem/router) solution then you should check the list here as a good starting point: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Personally, for the reason of stability, I would ignore anything that is not sporting a Broadcom (or "BCM" as it is listed on the above topic) DSL SoC. That is because I have personally had issues with Lantiq degrading my line speed and stability, and I have heard bad things about MediaTek (though I cannot comment on "Ikanos" as I have never used a modem with this chipset or even heard of them up until today actually). Your mileage may vary. While you do not have anything to gain in terms of broadband sync speed by changing modem (since the EE BrightBox 2 you have is Broadcom as far as I know), some chipsets may be more unstable on your line which could equate to a loss of speed.

I can see there is at least one router which is absent from the list in the above topic and that is the Billion 8800 AXL R2. You can find this for £92.62 Inc. VAT at Comms Express Ltd (https://www.comms-express.com/products/billion-triple-wan-wireless-1600mbps-3g-4g-lte-and-vdsl2-adsl2-firewall-router/). Perhaps it is not the best choice if you're looking for USB 3.0 connectivity though since it lacks this, but it may be worth keeping that in your tabs on your search. :)

You could also make a topic asking for advice, since people in the know for router/modem hardware will be able to give you suggestions.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Wirezfree

Re: Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »

@ re0

Thanks for the pointers and info, all noted.
At present, like they say "If it ain't broken......"

Cheers...
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything