Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!  (Read 7584 times)

Wirezfree

Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »

Where do I go next...???
Long story, in short form
- Moved into a new house end Feb this year, new development that's been occupied since Dec last year.
- Ordered phone service & broadband from EE, Phone & Broadband done approx. 4 weeks later, all fine.
- Decided I wanted FTTC, called EE, said I'm to far from exchange, I said I pass the Green box & FTTC cab about 600M away.
- Tried many times to convince them the system is wrong... No Joy

Looking on BT-OR can I get fibre shows me:
- Connected to CAB55(the one I pass) However to far away to order,
- However on the map it shows me on the other side of the town.
- If I enter the house that my back garden backs onto, the last house before the new estate it shows
> Connected to CAB55, and FTTC available to order, and it shows them correctly on the map.

My address & postcode are correct, checked with council planning who submit address data to Royalmail to assign a postcode.

Finally today a bunch of BT-OR vans are on the site.
I spoke to one of the engineers, it turns out he's done most of the connections for this site.
He confirmed that I am on CAB55, and he couldn't understand why it's showing me on the other side of town.
He said there is capacity in the cab.

So how do I get EE/BT-OR to sort out me being shown in wrong place.??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Want FTTC - Loosing what little hair I have...!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:20:15 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

If I have correctly understood your tale of woe, it appears to be a (relatively) simple database error. As you currently have a broadband service from EE, you need to firmly make the case that they, EE, should request for an Openreach technician to perform a "pair prove" of your circuit. Once that has been done the information so discovered will then be added to the database, thus correcting the error.

I recall that WWWombat needed to have a "pair prove" of his circuit performed, which then resulted in the correction of a "wrong cabinet" database error.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Wirezfree

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »

Hi burakucat,

Sorry for not making it clearer...
My neighbours are on CAB55, they can get FTTC, and they are shown correctly on the BT-OR map.
I'm also on same CAB55, but I'm shown way on the other side of the town, hence the "To Far" message.
Attached 2 pictures:
My House, showing me other side of town
My Neighbours, showing correct location

Would this "Pair Prove" address this wrong side of town issue.?

Many Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:46:55 AM »

Would this "Pair Prove" address this wrong side of town issue.?

It certainly would. The procedure is for the pair to be physically traced, from one end to the other. If the process is started from the MDF, in the exchange building, then it will lead the technician to your home . . . by which time it would be abundantly clear there is a database error.

Wirezfree

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:54:51 AM »

Hi burakkucat,

Many Thanks...
Will give this a try tomorrow.

Cheers

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »

My neighbours are on CAB55, they can get FTTC, and they are shown correctly on the BT-OR map.
I'm also on same CAB55, but I'm shown way on the other side of the town, hence the "To Far" message.

The internal databases within Openreach hold a lot more information than "just" the cabinet identity. One of the crucial pieces, for ordering FTTC, relates to the DP - the distribution point.

The DP is the connection box at the top of a telegraph pole, or in an underground chamber, where the cable to your house is joined to the larger, multi-circuit, cable to the cabinet. The estimations you see online (either in the Openreach checker, or in the BT Wholesale one) come from knowing the loss (attenuation) figure between the DP and the cabinet.

If the internal database has invalid information relating to the DP, then the FTTC estimation can't be made ... and the message defaults to a misleading "line too long" answer.

The map on the Openreach checker is caused by a different issue: your postcode is too new; a common issue with a new-build property. The neighbour's postcode is an already-existing one.

The website map places the flag in a position based on the postcode only, using a "centroid" latitude/longitude stored in the Post Office's address file (PAF). Your postcode probably doesn't appear in the PAF yet (or at least not in the PAF used by the Openreach website), so the checker likely puts the flag into the centre of the WN7 postcode. Try putting the same postcode into Google Maps, and see what happens...

In my case, the internal records had the wrong cabinet identity ... so I could order, but I was allocated a port in the wrong FTTC cabinet that was impossible to physically connect to. It took 3 months to fix, and a lot of cajoling from my ISP. Every engineer attending was able to see what was wrong, but little changed. The data only got fixed after an engineer was given the "pair prove" task, but as part of a task where the data was to be updated in (IIRC) "ROSE" ... and that filtered into the estimator maybe 3-4 days later.

Let us know how you get on with EE.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:38:08 PM »

If you use the address checker link from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome# it finds the address - so the postcode is on the BT PAF/database.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »

Code look up just gives ADSL2+ only.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Wirezfree

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »

Thanks all...

So I spoke to EE, in fact 3 different people, I have had a number of "promised" call-backs,
They have discovered 1 problem that needs correcting first before they can go to BT-OR
My main account, my home phone account, my mobile account are all correct,
But my Broadband account seems to have a different postcode to my main account.
Unfortunately when they called me back, as promised today I was in hospital and missed the called,
said would call me back Monday... Maybe good news.?? Will update when I know more.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »

But my Broadband account seems to have a different postcode to my main account.

Ah, that could be significant.

said would call me back Monday... Maybe good news.??

Hopefully.  :fingers:

Wirezfree

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »

Apologies for delay.. Work and such like.

Update:
- Had further calls with EE, seemed to be moving along, all positive, then silence, another call was fruitless.
- Had enough... emails to CEO at BT-OR(Clive Selley) and CEO at EE(Marc Allera) expressing my frustration and desperation.
- Within an hour emails back from I assume PA's from both BT OR & EE.
- Shortly after another email & call from EE, then a 2 email exchange with BT-OR

The following day an email from BT OR...
I was then able to order Fibre/FTTC up to 78Mb, commit date of 4th July, will it be my Independence Day...!!!

:fingers:  :fingers:  :fingers: ...  :D  :D  :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »

That reads as a partial success story. (Only partial, until such time as the service is actually provided.)  :)

Please keep us updated with details, as events occur. 

Wirezfree

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »

Further Update...

From BT OR last night:

"I'm pleased to advise we have pulled your installation forward from 04/07 to 19/06, we will contact EE to move your router delivery forward"

Wirezfree

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »

Hi,

Well BT-OR did the dead on Monday... Confirmation from EE done... EE shipped router, due to work/family only just connected.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »

That looks promising.  :)

If you have only just connected the modem/router today then there will be a minimum of 24 hours when the circuit operates in a "wide open" profile, on fast-path. During that 24 hours, the DLM process will be monitoring the circuit's behaviour but will not intervene, unless there is some serious circuit stability problem. After the initial 24 hour period the DLM will modify the circuit's operating parameters, if such a modification is deemed to be beneficial.

So having typed the above I can now say that, from the throughput seed-test result you have shown, it appears as if your service would be optimal on the Openreach 55/10 Mbps DS/US product.

I suspect, in due course, NewtronStar (a fellow EE Broadband service user) will be interested to see how your circuit is behaving.

Pages: [1] 2 3