Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hmm My Internet Connection Stopped Working.  (Read 2036 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Hmm My Internet Connection Stopped Working.
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

My connection seems to have dropped. The modem is connected but the router is trying to renew the lease. Does this sound like my isp's fault (bt) or somethinf on my end?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Hmm My Internet Connection Stopped Working.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Is the HG612 still in sync with cab?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »

I think so. The system uptime is just over 6 days, which is when i had the last dlm kick in. On the rt-n66u router it says disconnected and lease expired. In the log it says no response to 10 ech requests. Whats a pado packet? It keeps timing out waiting for that.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »

I rebooted the router. Didnt fix anything.

How do i report a broadband fault when i dont have a hub?

I'll wait to see if its any fault in the area then shall i try a modem reboot?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

That sounds like you are in sync to the DSLAM, but failing to establish a PPPoE session with a BRAS and onwards to the ISP.

The echo requests are probably what the router uses to check that the current BRAS is still there. If it fails to hear a response, it gives up, and starts to create a new PPPoE session.

To start PPPoE, your router sends out a PADI message to find any BRAS that is willing to talk to it. The BRAS sends a PADO as a response, offering its services.

I think the process ought to then continue with the BRAS forwarding authentication information to your ISP.

Because it fails during PADI/PADO, rather than during authentication, it sounds like your connection is failing somewhere between the DSLAM, the Openreach Head-End and the BTW BRAS (as your ISP uses BTW), but it could be slightly later than that.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »

I'm back online!

I ended up phoning BT and the guy refreshed the line and asked for me to unplug the router and the modem, then plugged them back in and the connection is up and running again.

I have a question about the HG612.. is the system uptime the time its connected? How do I know if the HG612 has an active connection as I'm not 100% sure the system uptime reflects that.

For example if dlm causes a re-sync sometimes the system uptime doesnt reflect the connection dropping, i.e. the time won't have gone back to zero. Usually for that it says reason: 2 but if the modem reboots, which it seems to do every so often the system time will be back to zero and the reboot reason is: 0

So on the hg612 gui, is there a place it says Connected, or similar?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »

The system uptime is the time the modem has been powered up.

The connection uptime is available via telnet, or if you use DSLstats it's shown on the status bar at the bottom, as well as the modem uptime.
  Eric

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »

Thanks roseway, I'm wondering if this modem is on its way out. I do have another modem to replace it.. just waiting for the right time.

I'll download the dslstats program. I used to have it on my old computer.. looks like i need it on this one :)

anything