Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: G.fast commercial roll out in progress  (Read 28330 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: G.fast commercial roll out in progress
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »

In my case it's Virgin Media, when they finally install it  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

Sky still output 720p and have done for over a decade now.

Don't think so. Pretty sure it's 1080 interlaced (I'll check tonight). Their new Sky Q system offers 4K, and they already have a decent selection of 4K content (both live and recorded).

I'm not expecting them to make 4K mainstream in the next 5 years.

Sky are doing a big push to ditch satellite tech and switch to broadband for delivering TV. With all new material being shot and made available in 4K, I think it is going to come a lot sooner than that.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »

After all that my impression was that digital SD was pretty close to HD - often hard to tell which you were watching. HD simply wasn't a huge improvement or worth the money it cost me.

That surprises me. I can tell SD vs HD pretty much instantly. The blur of SD content makes my head hurt. Panasonic Plasma + a variety of sources.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »

Really depends upon the bitrate encoded at. Low bitrate HD will probably look worse than high bitrate SD

It appears to me that different Sky channels, and different shows even on the same channel potentially are encoded to differing bit rates depending upon a whole bunch of unknown criteria.

Switching between different HD channels you see the qualities differ significantly.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »

Is G.fast still being rolled out or as it stopped until the trials have taken place?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »

Pods are very much still beinng added, but not made live, I guess until the trial/pilot is done with.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

Don't think so. Pretty sure it's 1080 interlaced (I'll check tonight).
Sky is indeed 1080i and has been for many years
Freeview HD is the only OTA broadcast in the UK that is 1080P. Even that is only 1080P25 and not full 1080P50
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

I set my skyHD box to 720p, find it better picture than the 1080i, especially on my new OLED.

Getting Sky Q installed a week on Monday. Interested to see their UHD for the F1, broadcast at 50fps.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »

I suppose they could be doing a Google Fibre / Verizon / AT&T and investigating fixed wireless. The man in question could also be jerking me around.

My money would be on an LTE version of wireless. They own EE ... and (carefully avoiding besmirching EE's reputation) there's no point having a dog and barking yourself.

DT started offering a hybrid service that combined LTE and VDSL2 a couple of years ago. Perhaps their part-ownership/board membership has prompted something...

https://www.telekom.com/en/media/media-information/consumer-products/magentazuhause-hybrid-ignites-bandwidth-turbo-across-germany-362108
http://www.telekom.de/zuhause/tarife-und-optionen/internet/hybrid-internet
http://www.telekom.de/zuhause/geraete-und-zubehoer/wlan-und-router/speedport-hybrid

Would this use EE's spectrum? Or BT's?

BT bought their own spectrum in the 4G auction which hasn't been announced as being used. I originally assumed that BT was aiming it at enterprise usage, but it has been suspiciously quiet. I wonder how much of EE's transceiver hardware is sufficiently multi-protocol-flexible so as to use it on existing sites.

Given that Ofcom/Three are trying to prevent EE from bidding on 5G spectrum because of BT's existing spectrum ownership, you'd think that BT would be under some pressure to make use of that 4G block, or get rid of it. If BT start to use it for fixed-line replacement and USO purposes, there would be an argument to exclude it from calculations in the mobile-only world.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »

LTE in my view is quite comparable to fixed line broadband in most internet applications, clearly good enough for VOIP given voLTE technology, might be not good enough for twitch shooters yet tho, but I think for most other types of usage its good enough.  It is also reliable, note when I had my cabinet issues I was running 24/7 with my phone connected to my pfsense unit as the internet provider.

3G always felt like a heavily interleaved line where there lag for websites to start loading and SSH was pretty laggy to use, but with LTE both those issues are vastly improved.

The 2 showstoppers for LTE is coverage in villages (which I agree is a joke but easily solved by a USO if gov has the balls to introduce it) and the usage limitations which is solved by investment from the providers (extra masts and backhauls to those masts).  BT may have decided its cheaper to mass deploy LTE than to rollout extra fibre in the local loop.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:47:28 PM by Chrysalis »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »

Looks like a front door to me. Letter box and door number isn't usually on back doors.

That's about as full a setup as there can be. Just needs 2x 384 HD card extensions!

Haha. 1 x 384 extension now done.

Can you guys think of any reason, other than a shortage of ports, why a Huawei would have the 384 port extension done?

It was mentioned to me that it may be due to G.fast being deployed, however that is I believe slaved from the first Huawei cabinet not the second and I don't really see why it would be done..

Virgin Media have moved in the area and it seems strange that 576 ports of VDSL aren't enough, but if that's how it is that's how it is.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »

Nothing obvious from my perspective. Even if G.Fast needed something on the DSLAM, I'd have thought it would be sourced from the common parts, not from a 64-port linecard.

At least not for the kind of G.Fast rollout mentioned so far.

In the future, with deeper G.fast nodes, then I could see them making use of copper for backhaul and perhaps for forward power. But I don't see them deploying either of those as yet.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

Hi

Sky is indeed 1080i and has been for many years
Freeview HD is the only OTA broadcast in the UK that is 1080P. Even that is only 1080P25 and not full 1080P50

It's just an encoder setting, and all films are progressive and a lot of dramas are regardless on the platform used to receive them.  As has been the case for decades really, progressive footage gets sent to us in an interlaced container, this is called Progressive segmented frame, and the display device simply gives us back the original progressive footage.  You are still watching progressive footage on Sky if it's a film or drama shot that way.

The issue though is progressive footage doesn't compress as well when treated by the encoder like it is interlaced, it is better for the encoder to switch to progressive encoding for progressive footage.  The BBC realised this and to save more data, their encoders now analyse the footage and switch on the fly between 1080i and 1080p compression modes.  This can happen on a scene by scene basis, even interlaced footage can be encoded as 1080p if it's a static image or has very little movement.   This is what caused a lot problems originally when they introduced this as some decoders used in PVRs and TVs were not happy constantly switching between the two modes.  Really it was never intended for an encoder to switch constantly between the two, but only at the boundary of programs, and in the same way we can sometimes here a glitch when a drama starts that is in 5.1 and it switches to that, so some decoders constantly glitched as the stream kept switching from interlaced to progressive and back again.  These issues have been sorted out now.

Regards

Phil

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]