Computer Software > Security

Cyber Attack & Back up

(1/3) > >>

Peter:
The latest cyber attack has made me think again about backing up my computer, plus my wife's laptop.
I have an external storage for photos etc; but am a little lax in keeping it up to date, so I'm looking for a system that I can set and forget, with that in mind can you recommend a good inexpensive option please?

Regards,

Peter

skyeci:
I use reflect as it free for home use. Good for imaging etc 
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Peter:
That was quick Sky, thank you I shall look at that one asap.
Thank you

Peter

broadstairs:
One point about backing up. Having an automated system is fine but if you keep the back up online you are still at risk from an attack like the current one as some of these kinds of attacks will search round for anything connected on your LAN and trash/encrypt it. So although an automated system keeps everything backed up it is still not safe if kept connected to the LAN. Better to have a manual system which requires your backup device to be connected only when needed. Backing up to the cloud may work but then you trust your data to a third party and their security protocols!

Stuart

Ronski:
I use Crash Plan, but I also keep some hard drives at my brothers which I occasionally back everything up to - not as often as I should as it turns out I last updated them in August 2015!

Data uploaded to Crash Plan is encrypted before being sent, and anything sensitive on my backup drives is also encrypted, I trust my brother but there's always a risk they could get stolen.

To add to what Broadstairs says, if ransom ware encrypted my files, Crash Plan would just see it as a change and upload it to the cloud. Fortunately CP does offer versioning

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version