Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scam virus cold call - with a twist.  (Read 9177 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Scam virus cold call - with a twist.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »

never heard of anyone in the uk been targeted before, thankfully I have none of these idiots phoning me.

As I mentioned my neighbour got a call claiming to be from BT. He went along with what he was told to do. They took complete control of his laptop. I think they probably took a copy of his files as he said the screen went blank whilst they were connected.... he did not hand over any money via card etc but who knows what they did. I formatted the machine and started from scratch....advised him to advise his banks etc....

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »

@7LM

Try this link without the newsfeed reference - here.   It still gives you a prompt at the bottom of the page to create an account, but the post should still be viewable.
 I've just tested it in a browser I don't usually use without putting in my login so hopefully it should work for you  :fingers:

@kitz,  thousand apols, that new link works... But so does the old one, now at least.  I think I was all too distracted by the giant facebook banners telling me login or create an account, and missed the fact the video had a play button all the while. :-[

Amusing anyway, thanks. :D

PS:  interesting they spelled out instructions in phonetic alphabet.   That's something one or two callers have done to me as well, but only in the past month or two.  I wonder if it's the same call centre..?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:28:01 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »

The call to me was spelled out that way to,  but not using the correct phonetic alphabet, so was rather painful to listen to.. My call was early part of this year,  can't remember exactly when, or even roughly when.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »

Yes I noticed deviations from modern ('Nato?') phonetics as I would use.   The one on the NZ police recording was  "Tango, Echo, Apple, Mike, Victoria, Indianna, Echo, Washington, Echo, Roger". 

I'll give them half a point for Indiana and Victoria, which should be India and Victor.   According to a few moments research I have established that 'Apples' was used by some forces in WWI, and 'Roger' was used during WWII, and 'Washingon' has been used in some Italian variations. 

I wonder if there might be some single regional version that aligns all above variations, partly justifying the scammer's version after all?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Yes it was all spelled out phonetically to me too - not all of them standard. 

One other thing to note he wanted me to type at least one of the urls for screenconnect from the run box.   
When I was getting the blank window (server not found) he got quite cross with me and told me I was lying - when I wasnt.
He also got annoyed with me at one point because I said I have 'www' in the url and he said I didnt tell you to type that in.   (Firefox auto completes it). 
So he then said to use chrome to get to the msbt url.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything