Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: can roadworks mess with your line and the dslam?  (Read 7850 times)

arronlowley

Re: can roadworks mess with your line and the dslam?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »

i just have no luck with any isp i come across its a total shamble, its a shame i cant get fttp with hyperoptic.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »

arronlowley your thread is turning into a rant and that sort of stuff gets ignored here, have you a FTTC fault or not ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 02:33:33 AM »

im fuming, before the engineer visit my line was fine apart from the loss in sync, now since hes messed about, my internet has become a lot worse, last night i was lagging and tonight its even worse :@ im getting ping spikes into the thousands, and severe packet loss, traceroute indicates its skys network, as the pings are high in hop 3.
which do you prioritize, low stable pings or maxed out sync speed? banding is the best solution for the former g.inp aside.

if hop 3 had high latency but the hops afterward did not you can ignore that it is a red herring.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

arronlowley your thread is turning into a rant and that sort of stuff gets ignored here, have you a FTTC fault or not ?

Wise words.

arronlowley

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »

G.inp kicked in yesterday at 10am, low ping and 70/20 which is my max sync but now my ping monitor is showing other issues which is packet loss.

The packet loss is only showing up in the evening at peak times, my latency is also spiking at these times, seems to me like there is something going on in terms of utilisation.

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »

I'd wait for roadworks to finish, then ask sky to re-test line.
I'm sure Sky would be happy to send engineer out if your happy to accept the SFI2 charges if engineer can prove line is fine.
It could also be an issue in sky's network, over congestion.
Don't always assume its the line.
Another thing you can try is requesting a new sky router.

arronlowley

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »

i will post some screenshots in here about what i mean, for the last 3 nights the packet loss is in the evening after 6pm, if you look before and after 6pm and 11pm you can see how solid the latency is, which is why i think its congestion.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »

Where an increase in latency affects the yellow area, but not the blue area, then it is an indication of a relatively minor amount of congestion.

Each pixel width represents about 100 pings over 100 seconds; the blue columns tell you what has happened to the pings on average.

- If there is no blue column, then the average latency is equal to the minimum latency.
- If there is a tall yellow column, but no blue column, then there has been a delay to one or two pings. If more pings were affected, then the average would increase, and a blue column would exist

Working through the maths, you can see that each extra blue pixel requires (from 100 pings) a total of an extra 100ms of latency.
This can be achieved with
- 1 ping taking 112ms instead of 12ms
- 5 pings taking 32ms instead of 12ms
- 10 pings taking 22ms instead of 12ms
- 20 pings taking 17ms instead of 12ms

In the final pingplot attached, at around 9pm, it looks like you are seeing 1 blue pixel over a fair period (2 hours), and 2 blue pixels over short periods (5-10 mins). The average is going up slightly, while the maximum tends to be around the 22ms level or less.

That suggests that, over a 2 hour period, you are getting additional latency of 5-10ms to around 10-20% of your packets. And, in some small 5 minute bursts, the same kind of delay to around 20-40% of your packets.

That plot is quite normal for a line that was in use at the time - such as watching Netflix - or for showing low level congestion over a wide area, that is common in the evening peak. I've attached 2 examples from my line - 1st, a day when only the SamKnows tester was working, and 2nd, notably where Amazon Prime was streaming HD to the TV.

Your plot is not what I'd consider to be an indicator of anything wrong with the line. It looks unlikely to be something caused by the engineer.

Your previous attachment with large outbound pings might, instead, suggest one of Sky's routes was heavily congested, but not the one that the BQM transits over.

Edit: Added the lost attachment.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:27:00 PM by WWWombat »

arronlowley

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »

so do you think this is just normal then? my girlfriend has been using an amazon fire stick recently and quite a lot, could be that.

the other night when i posted the cmd ping, i think that was my error, i was connected at 2.4ghz and the wireless strength wasnt the best and i believe windows was downloading an update in the background. i tested it and my ping times were all over, connected back at 5ghz and it wasnt as much of an issue, what im going to do if i have permission from my girlfriends parents as this isnt my house, is bring the telephone cable around the back of the house in term making it shorter and putting the router in the room with the pc and using an ethernet cable, our internal wiring is too old to use powerline to its full potential, im talking over 30 years old.
Pages: 1 2 [3]