Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: can roadworks mess with your line and the dslam?  (Read 7851 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: can roadworks mess with your line and the dslam?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 04:44:33 AM »

as far as i remember there is no 71 step for banding its 74 then 67, but i welcome to be corrected

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »

as far as i remember there is no 71 step for banding its 74 then 67, but i welcome to be corrected

Bob on ......... Level 34 is 67Mbps ...... Level 35 is 74Mbps. #nolevel42quipsthanks.  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »

I recall seeing some of the lists of banded speeds quite a while ago.

However, I vaguely remember a couple of reports last year (one via Walter), where DLM was gradually reducing the banding (ie was increasing speed) in almost round-number steps of 2.5Mbps - at least in the middle of the scale.

So, the pattern would be something like: 20, 22.4, 25, 27.6, 30, 32.4, 35, 37.6, 40, etc

In those cases, DLM relented so far, before getting "stuck". Banding wasn't removed completely.

That pattern was absolutely nothing like the previous list.

Does anyone else remember these cases?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »

wombat yeah is much smaller gaps undet 40mbps

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »

As mentioned by Chrys above ...... the nearer you get towards level 1 (2Mbps), the smaller the banding increments become.

arronlowley

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »

[Moderator note: This post & the following replies have been split off from a thread on a totally different topic and merged here.]

some people think that they can reset dlm from their end, but its not possible otherwise they wouldn't spend time sending engineers out.

i had an engineer sent yesterday, he reset my line but dlm decided to not give me my max sync back and instead gave me interleave, the engineer told me that there is an issue somewhere but because my line is within the estimated range openreach wont find it...

now i fail to understand how you can have a job to do but instead tell the customer that you wont do anything about it, my line came back clear and the cab came back clear, but he said there is something causing my line to error, which i believe is roadworks as this issue has been going on for about 1 to 2 week, i went from 71/20 to 49/20. now im stuck at 60/20
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:54:47 PM by burakkucat »

arronlowley

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »

i will update when dlm decided to apply g.inp, hopefully my sync will go back up, my line was capped at bang on 60000/19999 but after the reset its at like 60313/19999.

so i still think its been capped.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »

if he moves to the lower package, it will just be capped at the max speed of 40/10 or 40/2 whatever talk talk do.

it wont reset dlm though.

some people think that they can reset dlm from their end, but its not possible otherwise they wouldn't spend time sending engineers out.

i had an engineer sent yesterday, he reset my line but dlm decided to not give me my max sync back and instead gave me interleave, the engineer told me that there is an issue somewhere but because my line is within the estimated range openreach wont find it...

now i fail to understand how you can have a job to do but instead tell the customer that you wont do anything about it, my line came back clear and the cab came back clear, but he said there is something causing my line to error, which i believe is roadworks as this issue has been going on for about 1 to 2 week, i went from 71/20 to 49/20. now im stuck at 60/20

What exactly do you think the roadworks is doing to the line?

Short of a generator or something inducting some sort of noise, unless the cables are physically disturbed by the roadworks, I can't think of how they could interfere.

Surely everyone on the cab/cable bundle you're on would be experiencing the same issue?

arronlowley

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »

im fuming, before the engineer visit my line was fine apart from the loss in sync, now since hes messed about, my internet has become a lot worse, last night i was lagging and tonight its even worse :@ im getting ping spikes into the thousands, and severe packet loss, traceroute indicates its skys network, as the pings are high in hop 3.

arronlowley

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »

arronlowley

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

i would assume so but i dont know anyone else on sky so i cant check, but since the engineer messed with whatever he did, things have gotten worse, im getting severe packet loss and high ping which points back to the network at hop 3, tonight gaming is unplayeable. im so peed off.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »

i would assume so but i dont know anyone else on sky so i cant check, but since the engineer messed with whatever he did, things have gotten worse, im getting severe packet loss and high ping which points back to the network at hop 3, tonight gaming is unplayeable. im so peed off.

The ISP would be irrelevant, as the connection doesn't get to the ISP kit until the handover point. So any of your neighbours on FTTC from the same cabinet would be affected if it were due to the roadworks.

Do you have any noise on the line?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »

You should be able to change your DNS to say Google public DNS and see how it fairs when doing ping and tracert's

arronlowley

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »

i dont know if any of my neighbours are on fttc so as i say i cannot ask. the engineer said my line was fine however he said there was an issue somewhere but he couldnt be bothered to look for it... he went to the cab and said it was fine.

but since his visit i am now lagging and am getting packet loss. i go to work to come home to this crap, its a joke,

arronlowley

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »

yet some plonker from sky chat is telling me i dont know what im talking about, yet hes trying to tell me its one of my devices... dont think so pal, only started to lag since after the engineer left.
Pages: 1 [2] 3