Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The things you see on a country walk.  (Read 3059 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
The things you see on a country walk.
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »

Came across this diminutive cabinet while out and about in the Lake District, it is quite dominated by its huge neighbour. The cabinets are in a fairly small hamlet, so I wonder how many subscribers it can serve? We were staying in a nearby hotel and the proprietor is now enjoying "Superfast" broadband. He has also installed a new mesh wifi system which no doubt serves well the demands of the modern day traveller.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: The things you see on a country walk.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

Looking at that primary cross-connection cabinet, I can deduce that it dates from 1981 at the earliest (the T logo of the recently created then privatised British Telecommunications plc) and is the "tiny brother" of the fibre-glass family. As for the number of circuits that can be squeezed into it, I would say a couple of hundred. Perhaps Black Sheep will be able to disclose the "official" size?

I would say that its Huawei equipped "fibre twin" is probably capable of providing a G.993.2 based service for every one of the circuits that transit through P1 . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »

Thanks burakkucat:)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:36 PM »

It's hard to say how many circuits run through Cab1 without looking at our CSS Database, just as it's almost an impossibility to give an accurate capacity figure, without actually looking inside the Cab.

The reason being that the older 'threaded' system of connecting, that sees individual 'verticals' (verts) of 100pr cables would maybe house a total of four in a Cab of that size ..... whereby if the more modern Krone, Quante or the very latest push connection blocks were used, you could easily triple the Cab's capacity.

The smallest Exchange in the UK (as was back when I worked up in the Lake District), was Buttermere ... and it only had 20-odd 'subscribers' as they were then referred to working off it. That's 20 in total, not 20 in a Cab !!! Memory also recalls that a good few of those circuits were also a PABX system at the only hotel there was down the road.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

'subscribers' as they were then referred to working off it.

Has the term 'subscriber' gone out of fashion, then?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »

Oh yes, a long time ago ............. they were moved to 'Customers', then to todays terminology of 'End Users'.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:19:31 PM »

Oh yes, a long time ago ............. they were moved to 'Customers', then to todays terminology of 'End Users'.  :)

I hope the individual(s) who made that decision budgetted to update all the technical documents and international/european protocol standards?    ::)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

Ok, thanks to all, I was just curious as I'd never seen such a beast and found the juxtaposition of the two cabinets amusing.  ;)

anything