Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: News from the shed (also Gardencam)  (Read 2080 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
News from the shed (also Gardencam)
« on: May 07, 2017, 03:16:43 AM »

Hello long lost folks of old,

So about a year ago everything was going well; my shed was creaking yet resilient as was my IT infrastructure and I was posting about getting 0.4dB increase in performance on ADSL.

Then : stuff happens. 

In summary : Work, My Dad is ill, I move in to care for him; He improves but later he gets ill again.  In February 2017 my Dad passed away.

Not unexpected, I'm practical and take things that way, also the practical side of sorting stuff out has distracted me.  Though sometimes when I'm out I see something and think that I'll tell my Dad about it because he'd be interested. And... oh.

Gardencam was meant to continue; indeed I had a contingency plan.  Which I changed at last minute and caused it to fail a few days after I'd left it.

Right now I'm still sorting through my Dad's stuff, and my old stuff.  Lots of my old stuff.  Boot sales and ebay sales and charity shops and just putting stuff on the wall next to the road.  (ALL the VHS video tapes have gone that way, even though charity shops don't want them)

Also looking for somewhere new to live.  (Complicated involving owning property but not because bequeathed from late mother and move in to Father's property and...) anyway I'm not homeless and not without money but I have to find somewhere new.  And I don't know where is best.  Suggestions?

In the last few months, as well as involving myself with solicitors and the like. I've been sorting things out and going to boot fairs to sell things, which has been great fun. I've also been selling junk on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sheddyian/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=  [nb Kitz et al please delete this link if it's not appropriate]

In the short term, I'm sorting things out.  A lot of things. My Dad has lived here since 1962.  I've wooden stepladders and solid paintbrushes to put on ebay.

Meanwhile, hi to everyone here I've said hello to, or asked advice of or, rarely, given advice to.  HiHi.

Ian

ps ISS (International Space Station) is real!!!! I saw it recentl[transmission ends]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: News from the shed (also Gardencam)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »

It's really good to see you back, Ian. :)

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »

Hello Ian . . . There's not a lot I can say other than to echo Eric's post.  :)

As for posting the link to your eBay account, that's quite acceptable. In case you haven't noticed, Kitz has created a Broadband hardware swap shop for use by regular members.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »

Hi Ian

Good to see you back, So sorry to hear about your dad :'(

I can fully sympathise I went through similar last year with dad and know how time consuming things can be... only to  have to go through the process again with another close relative within the past 2 months. 
I totally understand how overwhelming things can be and I'm also just at the early stages of sorting through things, solicitors, house sale and disposal of personal effects. 

Charity shops dont seem to want certain things even places like refurb turn down perfectly good items because we dont have things like safety glass certs or the fireproof labels etc.   
I've found that British Heart Foundation seem a bit less picky but I think we may have to resort to hiring a skip (or 2) at this rate.  Until the last month or so I dont think anyone in the family had been quite aware of the hoarder they'd become, there's cans upon cans of food.  Things like about 20 pairs of slippers, multiple drawers full of socks most items brand new and unworn and things too good to be thrown away so its currently a case of just contacting various charities and asking if they want anything.  Like you there is a whole houseful of things accumulated for well over 50yrs and it is taking so much longer than I thought it would, so all I can say is just do a bit at a time as and when you can.   

As for looking for somewhere new, I guess you need to consider if you wish to stay local because of friends/family... or if you want a total new start elsewhere in the country?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »

I also had the unpleasant experience of sorting out my Mum & Dad's flat after they passed in fairly quick succession, a few years ago.  Sympathies.

Having made best effort to donate to charity shops, or to auction their precious (to them) 1950s lovely solid wood furniture, and dealing with all this from 400 milles away, I reluctantly employed a clearance firm.     The clearance firm were actually very good, assured me that charity organisations would get first dibs on anything that they might want.   They also did a one-off 'deep clean', not too expensive on an empty flat.  Wish I'd done that sooner, before marketing it, Dad being a cigar smoker.

Must confess though, I now have boxes and boxes of stuff in various cupboards that I brought back, and don't quite know what I'll do with.   In cold practical terms it is stuff that was of (mainly sentimental) value only to them, just childhood memories for me, but it still feels wrong to just let it go. :(

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »

Thanks for your responses.  Another busy weekend of sorting stuff out.  Lots of junk, puzzling over where a few things went to.  There used to be a 1950's valve radio in the attic, but I've seen no sign of it.

I've generally found charity shops round here have accepted most stuff I've taken along, but maybe they later get rid of stuff they don't want.  At least some sell unsaleable clothes as rags, I was once told they got 50p per Kg for that.  Charity shops don't want VHS videos or audio cassettes, but I put lots out on the wall and they went within a few days, the last boxfull went within the hour of putting it out.  It helps that it's a busy road with lots of passing foot and car traffic.  I put a sign out saying "Help yourself" and keep seeing people rummaging through the junk.  I really recommend this method of getting rid of stuff that nobody else seems interested in, especially if loose stuff is in boxes - people just bung the box in their car. 

I've done some boot fairs, and found that china, glasses, etc doesn't get much interest even if it's quite fancy and cheap and excellent condition.  Whereas a few boxes of rusty tools get lots of old men rummaging about.

Had a bumper weekend on ebay as well, posted 14 parcels today, more to do tomorrow.  Broken BBC Micro bits have got a surprising number of bids; decided to keep my ZX81 stuff as it was my first computer and I'd like to get it going again.  Found a box of tapes for it too.

As to if I'm staying local or moving away - well there's reasons for and against both options.  I have friends and a few (distant) relatives here, but it's expensive around here - can probably only afford a small flat without a mortgage.  With similar money I could buy a 2 or 3 bedroom house in Hull or various places in Scotland!  I knew there was a price difference across the country but was surprised how large it is.

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »

There used to be a 1950's valve radio in the attic, but I've seen no sign of it.

I had two of these, both bought at jumble sales as a kid, to listen to sw radio.  One of which
I recently cosmetically polished up, looks the bees knees and working (not necessarily safe!) last time I tried it. 

The other had languished for past 40 years in damp garages. Very sad looking.  I reluctantly included in a recent trip to the council dump.  Attendant took an interest.  I volunteered, 'you are welcome to it'.  He set it on one side and thanked me, muttering that some people might be interested.   Which was fine by me, would be great if it found a home. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:58:01 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:05:19 AM »

I had two of these, both bought at jumble sales as a kid, to listen to sw radio.  One of which
I recently cosmetically polished up, looks the bees knees and working (not necessarily safe!) last time I tried it. 

The other had languished for past 40 years in damp garages. Very sad looking.  I reluctantly included in a recent trip to the council dump.  Attendant took an interest.  I volunteered, 'you are welcome to it'.  He set it on one side and thanked me, muttering that some people might be interested.   Which was fine by me, would be great if it found a home. :)

I've seen a few project ideas using old radios and a Raspberry Pi - take the innards out of an old valve radio that's beyond repair* , perhaps keep the speaker, fit a Raspberry pi and modern amplifier in it, and turn it into a modern internet radio with a very traditional look.  With the original speaker it'll have at least some of the traditional "warm" sound as well.

Probably going to do similar to a 1970's Eagle Electronics radio that's in the lounge, nice teak wood-effect finish.  It works, crackles a lot.  May well modify the PHONO and TAPE DIN inputs to be Raspberry Pi internet radio and bluetooth receiver.

Ian