Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sat-Nav For The First Time.  (Read 10137 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Sat-Nav For The First Time.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »

One of our drivers complained he wasn't getting any voice instructions,  turned out he or it had turned the volume right down.

Have you checked for any updates as well?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »

Not sure what happened.
Why it did not tell me about a speed camera that I went by to test it that has been there for years I do not know.
I will do some more test runs before I trust it.
It has WiFi and yes it updates it when I switch it on in the house.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 01:46:49 AM »

A TomTom 5200 tip.
If you upload your own POI files (campsites, pubs, whatever) via the mydrive web site they will be downloaded when you connect with WiFi.
Any software upgrade may make them vanish, until you perform a full power cycle (press and hold power button, then take the power off option).
On powering up your POIs should be available again.

As with mobile phones, personally I have not had good results with voice control.

Why a 5200? I started with a GO 300 and later various Android apps, settling on the TomTom app. Fine, except for the battery drain beating the charger, sometimes resulting in the phone powering off mid-journey. Then TomTom decided to kill off the GO 300 entirely, giving a quite generous discount to registered owners.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »

Just to up-date this post.
We have just come back from a week in the  Isle of Wight and I gave my new sat-nav it's first big test,
It was very helpful, we never got lost once  ;D.
I had to disable the voice control as it kept asking what I wanted  >:( , I have to say 'Hello Tom Tom' to wake it up, but it would come on when we were just in normal talk  >:D and you could miss your directions.
The speed camera warning seems good ( it only tells you about speed cameras / hazards etc. once a route is set and not free running ).
There are a few places that the map does not match the road lay out but you can let tom-tom know about them.
Why did I wait until I was 68 before I bought one.
also it's a 100% better than a free phone app type, with a 6" screen I can see well.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »

Why did I wait until I was 68 before I bought one.
also it's a 100% better than a free phone app type, with a 6" screen I can see well.

Glad it went well, and you've just reinforced my opinion that once someone  uses a decent sat-nav they won't want to give it up.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

Must admit I like mine and would find it hard to not have one now.   
Years ago we used to use a tom-tom...  but now my car a dashboard in screen unit that is quite a bit larger than a traditional sat-nav screen, which sounds rather like the one that d2d4j described. Its very easy to see without being a distraction to the road, and you can have it voice only.   
All I have to do now is press a button on my steering wheel and then say "Navigate to...."

What I havent tried yet, is what happens if I said "Dial xperson" & what effect that has on the navigation if the phone is in use.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »

Always interesting to  explore how things interact, whether phone has priority over satnav, etc.

My own car is too old to have built-in satnav, or at least it was a hugely expensive option that it doesn't have.  But it does have factory fitted parking sensors that beep through the car's audio system.

So far so good.  But combined with bluetooth, either for phone calls or satnav, the bluetooth trumps the parking beepers.   This means that just as you are backing into a parking space at the end of your trip, and expecting some help from the beepers, the bluetooth migh kick in "You have arrived".  Which mutes the parking beepers, with a crunch as you hit the wall. :D

Hasn't happened yet, but a couple of times it might have done. :blush:

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »

Hi

@kitz yes I think there similar and easy to see/view without been a distraction

@sevenlayermuddle - my unit has cameras front and rear, but selection of reverse immediately stops all function of the headunit, and only displays the rear camera whilst allowing voice to continue (rear head units continue to work as normal)

The camera I fitted is a hidden camera so no one sees it, but the downside is it only shows 2 meters behind the car. However, as I have driven cars since very early eighties, it's not an issue and a plus as it shows anything directly behind that car

I think it's getting much better and the latest version of our car, detects the speed signs and limits you to this speed, which is excellent but not to everyone's taste

Also, there are few options I have not installed, such as tpms bit I fitted management

Many thanks

John

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »

That camera picture appears to be upside down!  :lol: Is the camera installed the wrong way up?
(I have a camera I installed myself on my old Audi with the same lines on it and its view is from the bumper to just above horizontal.)

Edit: Looking at your picture, I think the camera (with lights included) is designed to be mounted with the lights facing downwards. You probably need a bracket.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:39:45 PM by HPsauce »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »

Hi hpsauce

Many thanks, it is the correct rear number plate light for car, but with a camera.

It's how I wanted it so it did not show externally (its hidden in the black cover) and no drilling of bodywork

I only need the vision directly behind the car 2m approx but your right, the lines are upside down. Unfortunately these lines are in the camera so I turned off guide lines on headunit.

Many thanks

John

Pages: 1 2 [3]