Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 with V.O.I.P  (Read 2104 times)

lofgents

VDSL2 with V.O.I.P
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »

Is it possible for some suggestions for a VDSL 2 Modem/Router with V.O.I.P. I cannot find the cabinet type (not in the U.K.) the distance from the cabinet will be between 500 and 800 metres. The ISP here give their customers a Speedport 2 or similar but if I can find something better I prefer to buy my own if it will perform better.

Longtime owner of Billion 7800 which has been exceptional on a 4K copper line.

Thanks

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL2 with V.O.I.P
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »

What sort of voice support do you need?  I use a normal Billion router, and a separate SIP telephone (Gigaset N300A in my case).   Given my experience in other contexts, I don't think I'd want a router with analogue ports for conventional handsets - why introduce the clunkiness of analogue to a digital service?

lofgents

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »

What sort of voice support do you need?  I use a normal Billion router, and a separate SIP telephone (Gigaset N300A in my case).   Given my experience in other contexts, I don't think I'd want a router with analogue ports for conventional handsets - why introduce the clunkiness of analogue to a digital service?

Thanks for the reply, the isp here provide a Speedport 2i and according to posts on a local forum seem unwilling to give out the password for the V.O.P. or is it sip. I am quite new to this system but am very familiar with ADSL. It seems difficult to find information on how this system works.

My present setup is Billion 7800 connected to an Asus 68u which runs on DD-WRT software and provides a good wireless signal around the house. We have 2 cordless phones on extensions.
Any insight you can provide would be most welcome.

Thanks again.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »

Hi,

First of all terminology, "VoIP" voice over IP is a fairly generic term covering all sorts of protocols and architectures.  SIP is one specific protocol.

A typical home VoIP system will use SIP and consist of a service you subscribe to, and your equipment.  You configure your equipment to register with your chosen service, then it can make and receive calls on that service.   Your equipment could be in the form of an adapter into which you plug a conventional telephone, or a standalone SIP device that connects into your network.   I would normally recommend that latter, and that's what I use.  I chose the Gigaset device because it could use the same DECT cordless handsets that I already use.   

On your specifics, just because the router they've provided has a voice capability doesn't necessarily mean that the ISP provides that service, in fact if they're reluctant to give you access into that part of the router it suggests that maybe they don't.

Really it depends on what you're trying to achieve.   If you want to play around with VoIP and SIP, there are various free or pay as you go services available, for example SIPgate which is what I use.   

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »

(not in the U.K.)
What part of the world are you ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

lofgents

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »

I live in Greece, Cosmote is the ISP used to be OTE, it is difficult to find any info. I have spoken to a Senior Technician who has told me that once the F.T.T.C. goes live they will give me a modem (usually Speedport 2i). The V.O.P. is mandatory and all customers will eventually have to use this system.

I am on fairly good terms with the Technician having convinced him to set my profile to benefit from my Billion 7800. The unknown factor at the moment is the distance from the new cabinet to our home. I am trying to gather as much knowledge as I can to try and get the most reliable and stable connection.

I also want to keep keep my Asus router in the loop as it is configured to DD-WRT firmware which enables me to obtain IPTV and also the wireless is very good from this router.