Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SKY ADSL & HG612  (Read 9525 times)

playz28

• Just arrived
Re: SKY ADSL & HG612
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »

Naller, thanks but I can set the HG612 to EoA mode.

The Issue I have is that once I have done that and input the login details in the R7800 under PPPoE, it does not connect at all.

I have checked the WAN connection through Lan 2 on the HG612 and it does not show any receive packets from the ISP.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »

have you tried using LLC mode instead of VCMUX on the HG612?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »

Naller, thanks but I can set the HG612 to EoA mode.

The Issue I have is that once I have done that and input the login details in the R7800 under PPPoE, it does not connect at all.

I have checked the WAN connection through Lan 2 on the HG612 and it does not show any receive packets from the ISP.
Re...I have checked the WAN connection through Lan 2 on the HG612   How ?.
Has it got a DSL connection up on the HG612 ? Show us a full  set of screen shots for the HG612.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

playz28

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »

I have done further reading and as Naller said I do not think the HG612 can do what I am after which is to bridge PPPoE from my R7800 to PPPoA SKY ISP.

The bridge mode in the HG612 is a PPPoE bridge, therefore SKY must support PPPoE in their end which they do not. They only support PPPoA, therefore a direct connection cannot be made.

I believe the Vigor 120 ADSL modem can do the PPPoA to PPPoE translation.

Are there any other devices that will do the PPPoA to PPPoE translation? The Vigor 120 is quite expensive however I am tracking a few on ebay.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »

The bridge mode in the HG612 is a PPPoE bridge, therefore SKY must support PPPoE in their end which they do not. They only support PPPoA, therefore a direct connection cannot be made.
This is incorrect.
Connection type

It is the interface encapsulation type managed by the WAN connection. The gateway supports three routing modes: PPPoE, DHCP, and Static and two bridge modes: IP_Bridged and PPP_Bridged.

DHCP transparent transmission

It is used to specify whether to perform the DHCP transparent transmission in bridge mode. If transparent transmission is set, the LAN devices can obtain the addresses of public networks through the bridge. Otherwise, the devices can obtain only the addresses of private networks assigned by the gateway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »

Perhaps Chrysalis will be able to assist?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »

Perhaps Chrysalis will be able to assist?  :-\
The OP either does not understand or will not listen to advice !.

If he reads this section 'PPPoE to PPPoA' he may understand a bit more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_protocol_over_Ethernet#PPPoE_to_PPPoA

My ISP's connection is PPPoA but I still use PPPoE to connect with my router With my HG612. works a treat.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

playz28

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »

Tickmike, I appreciate all the help the forum has given me, however I must admit I am new to this.

I have also read the article on Wikipedia, however I believe if I was with BT ADSL or Plusnet ADSL then the bridge method described could possibly work.

If you are saying the HG612 can perform the same function as the Vigor 120, then I stand corrected as I was under the impression that it cannot. This is specifically with SKY’s ADSL service. After reading a number of reviews online (especially the first one) I realised the Vigor 120 is the modem that I need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2HGSJBJVXD3KJ/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0032Q120Q

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3B709SBIA0V24/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0015RRIKM&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 08:51:18 AM »

It's impossible to guess what settings you have entered that are incorrect without seeing your settings. In your first post you did attach your settings but your traffic type was reported as PTM which is clearly incorrect for a PPPOA connection.

Personally I can't see what's wrong with having the HG612 configured as a router, which you say was working, and having the Netgear configured as an access point.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »

Agreed. When I was on ADSL I used an HG612 as a modem/router and it worked very well.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »

i wont be much help as i am on sky fttc not adsl and the 2 services are not configured the same way, sorry

playz28

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to update with my progress and hopefully help anyone who had the same problem as me.

I bought the Vigor 120 modem and using default settings i.e. not doing anything, it worked straight away.

I set the R7800 back to Router mode from AP mode and entered my sky username and password in the internet setup, PPPoE section in the Netgear Genie and it connected straight away.

I then proceeded to plug the Vigor 120 directly into my laptop Ethernet port to update to the latest firmware F/W 3.2.8.2 (10 April 17).

The Vigor 120 is an interesting device as it seems to run a DHCP server for configuration purposes, however when in this mode there is no access to the internet. This is because there is nowhere to enter the SKY username and password details.

Connection speed is a tad slower than the Broadcom SKY SR102. I tested this through my max download speed using my uploaded.net account which maxes my connection. SR102 achieved 1.87MB/s whilst the Vigor 120 (ADI chipset) achieved 1.73MB/s. This is not a big deal for me as I am more concerned about the LAN network and connected devices (USB3 storage and soon to be QNAP NAS).

The Vigor also seemed to have solved my windows access issues to the ReadyShare network storage drive, which was intermittent when I was using both the SR102 & HG612 as Modem and DHCP. With the R7800 handling DHCP and NAT duties it appears straight away in the Windows network finder where I have now mapped it as a network drive.

Overall, I am happy with the Vigor 120 so far, although at £55 shipped, it wasn’t a cheap option! I will be keeping the HG612 if fibre is ever rolled out in my area or I move.

Finally, wanted to say thanks to all the contributors to this post who assisted me.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »

Thank you for updating this thread. I'm pleased to know that you now have a working solution.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »

I think the Vigor 120 has a Lantiq chipset (as do most DrayTek devices).
Pages: 1 [2]