Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for some help with my connection  (Read 2272 times)

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
Looking for some help with my connection
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »

Hi,

I have a Asus n55u router /modem btinfinity2
I used to be on a fast path connection and I'm trying to get it back there i think I'm on an eci cabinet which is located pretty close to my home
Just wondering on the best settings for the router to get me on fast path
I notice when my connection sync's above 60,000kbps i get alot more CRC errors and the interleaving value shown in DSL stats will increase have seen it at 3000ish depth
I have tried changing the snr margin in admin options to a higher value of 9 or 12 and i get a lower sync speed at first and then dlm resets and sync higher and i get alot more CRC errors plus higher interleave depth

I now have the snr set at 5db and seems to have low CRC errors...
Is there any tricks to achieving fastpath like a way to cap my sync speed to then achieve fast path?

Any help would be great

Thanks nick.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Looking for some help with my connection
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »

How long has your line been in this Interleaved state ?

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »

Not completely sure i just remember having great pings for quite along time maybe around a year seeing 8ms pings i only started looking at the router stats after we changed our kitchen and had alot of disconnects with the power so logged into the router and noticed the interleaving depth and then started reading some info about it
Not sure if that's when it changed tho kitchen is complete now but I've been changing settings on the router so probably upset dlm more but have tryed to leave modem disconnected 45mins each time so dlm doesn't flag the changes i make

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »

IIRC, ASUS router/modems don't react well on VDSL2 lines, have a tendency to trigger DLM more, and get the INP value lines wrong in the GUI printout.

As a result, I have tended to give up on diagnosing any ASUS modem, so need others to confirm what the current status is.

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:54 PM »

What would the maximum uptime for the router without me changing settings for the dlm to settle on my connection? To see if fastpath would come back
Then if it didn't i could maybe reconnect the eci BT openreach modem i have and see if that gives me more luck?
Or what would be the optimal modem for me?

Thanks for your help

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:21 AM »

First things first . . . Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I think we will need to consult with others, such as Chrysalis, who have had experience of Asus devices.

As I understand things, it might be best to use the Asus device as just a PPPoE client, router, WAP, firewall, DNS Server, DHCP server, etc, and precede it with a known, reliable, modem to handle the G.993.2 (VDSL2) circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »

It depends on which one caused the Interleaving to occur a burst of errored seconds going above the DLM threshold should only be a week but if was disconnection above 20 then many weeks but you would have noticed the DLM capping your sync rate by that stage.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:03:43 AM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 12:20:42 AM »

It does look like you are on an ECI cab.  Unfortunately I will echo Wombats comments about the ASUS modems in general.  I believe there is one which has a BCM chipset which may be ok, but generally most have been problematic in some areas. 

The NGA DLM doesn't appear to like being forced into changing the Target SNRm.  Openreach supposedly put some measures in place to stop most modems being able to lower the NGA Target SNRm (BT had a strong dislike of the old DMTtool which people used to use to try avoid DLM intervention) afaik there is still only the ASUS modems which have some sucess.  Several people on this forum have resorted to capping their max sync speed and have had more sucess this way when trying to remove interleaving.   Bear in mind though, the more DLM has intervened on your line, then the longer it will take for it to be removed.

BTW... Interleave depth tends to vary with sync speed, eg the faster the sync speed usually the higher the interleave depth so dont pay too much attention to those figures.  I tend to find delay or INP more useful. 

However that said, the 2.3 shown in your stats looks invalid.  DLM uses 3 and 3.5 for non G.INP lines.
Your MAX rate also seems to be overly generous.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 12:28:51 AM »

I'll try not to touch for 7-9 days and cross my fingers it's been wrecking my brain for about 3-4 weeks now i check DSL log every morning around 6.30am as the resyncs seem to happen then each time i pray to see interleaving  depth 1 😂

I actually bought this router after the kitchen was finished and noticed slower sync and thought maybe time for new modem but now since reading a few bits it was just dlm doing its thing
Am i right in saying that 11.8 attenuation means i should get pretty close the 80mb? I have seen my max sync rate at 110,000kbps

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:35:17 AM »

What would the maximum uptime for the router without me changing settings for the dlm to settle on my connection? To see if fastpath would come back

That's a simple question with a complicated answer.

The first part of the answer is that, if you need to manually disconnect the modem or reboot it, then it is best to leave it disconnected or powered off for at least half an hour. That way DLM doesn't mistake it for a failure, so won't include the resync when deciding to intervene further.

The second part is that DLM has a complicated way of deciding when to reduce its level of intervention. It bases that decision on seeing a low level of errors and a low level of disconnections for a certain number of days consecutively. Depending on the history of the line, and any recent errors, that could be anywhere from 1 day to over a month.

It certainly pays to make sure that DLM doesn't see any unnecessary resyncs nor any unnecessary errors. The ASUS does you no favours there, because you can't see the important error statistics. And, to be fair, DLM likely intervenes most because of error rates, not disconnections.

Am i right in saying that 11.8 attenuation means i should get pretty close the 80mb? I have seen my max sync rate at 110,000kbps

12dB attenuation should give you a very good chance of getting 80/20 speeds.  One old line of mine was 16dB, and got 80/20 at first, but gradual increases in crosstalk took speeds just below. My current line is 8dB, and easily gets 80/20 speeds.

Unfortunately, the "max attainable" figure is one of the ASUS values I don't think is trustworthy, so I don't know whether you can believe it. However, if you were one of the first subscribers to get service on the cabinet then it is a plausible number.

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »

When i first signed up i had the full 75mb when i tested the connection was a long time ago now and being a new'ish build site probably most are on infinity as no virgin here and is a long line for ADSL so speeds were bad

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »

Just recontacted my infinity and I've got a smart hub coming will I be better using that when it comes or should I use the eci or modem?
Are the smart hubs any good now?

Mrbizzle

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »

Nothing has changed it the DSL stats page other than 1000crc errors now in 7 days

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »

Setup my mums connection on infinity 2 recently. Whilst the smart hub works we had wifi issues so opted for a seoerate modem and router. If you arent bothered about stats etc then try the home hub and see how you get on. The hub has its own modem so no seperate modem is required.