Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virgin Media make 350Mb standard business broadband speed  (Read 6856 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Virgin Media make 350Mb standard business broadband speed
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

Virgin Media just announced 350Mb, 'sync' rate 385 - 390Mb, will be available as a business service to millions of premises this year. They will sell with 3 different upstream speeds, but just as 100Mb is as slow as the residential service now goes, 350Mb will be the slowest downstream speed the business broadband services go.

This kind of thing is why I smile when senior Openreach people say that they don't concede the 'speed race' to Virgin Media.

The upstream speed is temporary. VM plan to beat G.fast's upstream speed this year too, and preparations to do so are ongoing.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media make 350Mb standard business broadband speed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »

Sounds great ................... for the limited urbanites who VM will only entertain.  :P

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »

Perhaps if they were given million's of public money then perhaps they would do non urban areas :P

This is good news, and looks interesting.Can anyone order a business service or are VM fussy?

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:53 PM »

Just like Openeach, who were the only ones prepared to 'go to war' and see a ROI approximated to be in 25yrs time.

All the other contenders dropped out of "receiving millions of public money", at this prospect.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »

Sounds great ................... for the limited urbanites who VM will only entertain.  :P

~60% of the country by 2019. I believe that's more than Openreach have claimed they'll reach with >100Mb by 2025?

EDIT: These don't look too urban to me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippax,_West_Yorkshire

Kippax is a village and civil parish in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England. It is situated to the east of the city, near to Garforth and Great Preston.

Getting FTTP right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garforth

Garforth /ˈɡɑːrfərθ/ is a village within the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, in West Yorkshire, England.

Getting FTTP right now.

Ossett /ˈɒsᵻt/ is a market town within the metropolitan district of the City of Wakefield, in West Yorkshire, England.

Just had an HFC build - very little of the town was covered, it's now ubiquitous.

I could go on, these are just three that I'm aware of and are near me. The entire FTTC and FTTP build done on BT's own tab from 2009 to 2016 cost about £1.5 billion. Virgin are spending £3 billion on their in-fill project. Before you quote the numbers I'm aware that BT claim it cost £2.5 billion. That includes the operational costs of the FTTC/P network so includes power for the FTTC cabinets, the NOC to monitor it, etc, VM's numbers are just for construction so are all CapEx.

Unlike Openreach the costs of the network build aren't so relatively insignificant they can be rolled into the existing CapEx budget with it hardly mocing. They actually require their own section in the reporting of the results as they represent a significant increase in expenditure.

Dealing with my own estate 4 cabinets pass, give or take, 1,300 premises. Two of those were enabled in commercial rollout, one of which I spent over a year working on. That cabinet has 2 DSLAMs serving it, one is paid for, the other one if not already will be covered by the end of this year. The other commercial one isn't far away. The other two were enabled via BDUK. The total cost of the 5 DSLAMs to BT, including install, was about £100k, despite the ridiculous claim that it was £100k a pop. No additional construction for fibre routes was required, only cost of DSLAM, ducts to PCP and power. Virgin are spending over £1 million on the 1,300 premises and, unlike BT, are covering it all. When they start in urban areas they finish, they don't hold their hands out for taxpayer subsidy because a cabinet doesn't pass enough premises for them as they aren't tied to legacy cabinets.

Were BT willing to wait the length of time VM are for ROI they'd have deployed FTTP to this entire estate as it's fully ducted, swept t construction, and MDUs excepted could easily be covered for £200 - £300 per premises. As it is by 2020 there'll be a G.fast deployment that doesn't benefit half of the estate as they are too far from the cabinet and Openreach have no plans to deploy fibre deeper into the plant until at least then.

Given the difference in expenditure and even taking account of the difference in incomes between the two it's very clear which of them is willing to wait the longest period for a return on investment and which is putting in the serious money. So let's not have an appendage showing competition on which out of the two is most willing to invest and is actually laying the money down, eh?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:16:58 PM by Ignitionnet »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »

Just like Openeach, who were the only ones prepared to 'go to war' and see a ROI approximated to be in 25yrs time.

I have no idea where you got that number from but neither the commercial rollout or BDUK were based around an ROI of 25 years. The higher than expected uptake, the expectations were pretty conservative, has ensured the ROI is in single figures. The original plan was in the 10-12 year area.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

This is good news, and looks interesting.Can anyone order a business service or are VM fussy?

VM don't care. As long as you can pay you're more than welcome to order.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 02:40:04 AM »

I could go on, these are just three that I'm aware of and are near me. The entire FTTC and FTTP build done on BT's own tab from 2009 to 2016 cost about £1.5 billion. Virgin are spending £3 billion on their in-fill project. Before you quote the numbers I'm aware that BT claim it cost £2.5 billion. That includes the operational costs of the FTTC/P network so includes power for the FTTC cabinets, the NOC to monitor it, etc, VM's numbers are just for construction so are all CapEx.

Virgin is effectively also benefiting from a public subsidy as its funding is covered by the Government's UK Guarantee scheme - unlike BT's commercial investment - as well as no requirement to wholesale its network

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

Virgin is effectively also benefiting from a public subsidy as its funding is covered by the Government's UK Guarantee scheme - unlike BT's commercial investment - as well as no requirement to wholesale its network

What does that mean in layman's terms?  The documentation doesn't say clearly.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »

I think it is like a guarantor for a mortgage - it means the lender faces less risk when lending money to VM, because the UK government guarantee it will be returned if VM goes bust.

The advantage to VM is that it gets lending on easier terms - possibly longer return periods, or lower interest rates - which makes the business case a bit easier (or even makes it plausible).

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »

As WWWombat suggests there are are least two advantages for Virgin:

- HMG guarantees that the capital and interest will be repaid to investors in full if Virgin don't pay; and

- Virgin effectively benefits from HMG's credit rating borrowing money at the same (very low) rate that HMG does than paying a much higher commercial interest rate which would more accurately reflect the real risk of lending to such a company.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 06:08:28 AM »

Thanks, that makes sense.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »

I think any new roll-outs and speed increases will benefit the end user.

It looks like as time goes on that VM are preparing to go toe-to-toe with BT/OR.

I think for BT/OR to keep up they will need to be deploying more fibre in ducts at every opportunity as we're going in to the G.fast phase. That way the network will have the reach to eventually offer more fttp solutions.

Who actually has the bigger network that's capable of 100Mbps speeds, real speed not just the advertised speed, BT/OR or VM ?

The advantage of FTTP over VM Cable is the contention and congestion situation. From what I've read nobody as any contention/congestion issues using FTTP, at least to the degree we see them on VM's network.

Will VM's new DOCSIS 3.1 solve node congestion issues for users?

My only issue with VM's service is its potluck on the service you get. So someone might have bought vivid 100 and be getting 3Mbps download, and so far there doesn't seem to be the same voices raised about this like they do when similar issues occur on BT/OR services. I think if VM could fix that situation then they would get a LOT of customers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

Again, I would humbly suggest that take-up of these sooper-dooper high speed products, will be minimal ..... compared to the larger market.

I work (as you all know by now) on FTTC on a daily basis, and my own findings are that the 40/2 and 40/10 products are by far and away the biggest seller.

I do take Ronski's (I think it was he ??) point, that by the time the service gets to the EU they may only have 15/20 meg etc etc, but I still maintain cash is king in this sector ..... the amount of people willing to fork out extra dosh for 330, or 1G speeds will probably fall into the 10-15% of total consumers ...... with most of that being businesses.

Let the willy-waving continue though .....

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »

It was probably me,  as that is the bug bear with me that the fttc deteriorates over distance, and as I don't live on top of the cabinet my speeds suffer. VM doesn't suffer so much with distance,  but of course it's pot luck  as to whether you suffer with congestion, and of course you can't have a different ISP on VMs network.

I think the higher packages may well get higher demand as it's the only way to get a decent upload speed on VM.

I will certainly be looking closely at VM when our area goes live later in the year, especially as it's full FTTP.

PS Willy waving is good,  as does help drive things forward.
Pages: [1] 2