Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******  (Read 14418 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:28:56 PM »

Sorry but renluop should not install DSLstats in Appdata as there will be a folder created there called DSLstats and is reserved for configuration data only 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:36:25 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »

I don't think he has installed DSLstats there. The files he refers to are also in your AppData folder.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 10:54:32 PM »

Hopefully not it always works fine in C:windows 10\Users\Name\dslstats and that is as far as you should go with the install

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »

Hopefully not it always works fine in C:windows 10\Users\Name\dslstats and that is as far as you should go with the install
That's where they are, bar the 4 in the attached link, that without my efforts are in my AppData\Local\dslstats. Config files are as the system placed them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:42:19 PM by renluop »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 07:21:25 AM »

That's perfectly OK. The files you referred to are generated by the program when it runs, and that folder is where the OS advises configuration files should go. The file names are slightly confusing because of Windows' ridiculous default hiding of file extensions.
  Eric

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Yes that is so annoying,  bit easily changed from within folder options.

https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-file-extensions-in-windows-explorer.shtml
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

I'm just tacking this on to avoid the need for a new thread!
I had another invalid floating point error. This time I was at desk when it occurred, that was when the graphs had completed their three hour lives, and another set were setting up.

From past happenings I have  had faint suspicions the error events could have happened at like moments.

A likely daft suggestion, but could my suspicions have any worth?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »

Anything is possible, but it's hard to see why. The graphs don't fill up in discrete blocks in the way you suggest - the data is stored in a continuous way, and what you see is just a scrolling section within the total stored range.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »

Hi Eric! I realised that shortly after I turned off the bedside light! My thinking was not the best even for me.  :-[ :D

Maybe something with the taking of snapshots is a cause, but as you say, 'anything is possible'.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »

The best way to try to diagnose this sort of problem is to start with a very simple configuration, and slowly build up from it. I suggest that you clear out any current DSLstats files (including the configuration files) and install version 6.0.2 using the self-extracting installer. Don't change the installation folder from the location offered by the installer. Don't change anything in the configuration, apart from entering your modem login details of course. Run it like that for a couple of days if you can. After that, slowly add the features you want, testing each addition as you make it.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »

The best way to try to diagnose this sort of problem is to start with a very simple configuration, and slowly build up from it. I suggest that you clear out any current DSLstats files (including the configuration files) and install version 6.0.2 using the self-extracting installer. Don't change the installation folder from the location offered by the installer.
What if it offers the root or Program Files/ Program Files x86?
 Don't change anything in the configuration, apart from entering your modem login details of course.
You mean gather no stats at all?
Run it like that for a couple of days if you can. After that, slowly add the features you want, testing each addition as you make it.

OT. P.s
I've been running from the test socket for a couple of days, but this morning had a nightmare time getting any connection, so finally I've abandoned that and connected via the hired wired extension. That produced horrific errors, SNRm fluctuations; 6, 11,-2 dB and syncs between ~7000 and ~4500 kbps.

Nothing makes sense, so I wonder if reverting to old router may provide clues.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »

What if it offers the root or Program Files/ Program Files x86?

It doesn't. It's designed to offer a suitable location.

You mean gather no stats at all?

No, by default it collects some stats, but only a selection of what's available. I suggest that you make no changes initially.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »

I've been running from the test socket for a couple of days, but this morning had a nightmare time getting any connection, so finally I've abandoned that and connected via the hired wired extension. That produced horrific errors, SNRm fluctuations; 6, 11,-2 dB and syncs between ~7000 and ~4500 kbps.

This must surely be a line fault. If you've been running from the test socket for two days and you're getting results like this, then there's little doubt. You need to report a fault to your ISP.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »

Clean installed 6.0.2 as advised, and am surprised how much is being recorded in the minimal state.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »

The default state is meant to be a useful starting point. If you can now leave it running like that for some time, that would be good.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything