Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Making BT broadband and telephone available in another room  (Read 3596 times)

tuk

I need a temporary yet robust solution which will be used for around 1 year until my house diy is finished

I have considered using powerline(mains electricity network), but not sure if it will effect the maximum download rate and ping so I'm looking at wired solutions.

I have the master socket, landline and BT router in the living room.
I need another phone(wired) and two PCs(which require adsl cable) in the bedroom.

What is the minimum setup/cables to get this working?

Do I have to run a new wire from inside the main master socket to a second master socket in the destination room or is there an easier option, for eg an adapter of some kind that will share the line to the another telephone in another room?

Can I somehow feed two PCs from one adsl cable?

Other options?

Thanks,

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Making BT broadband and telephone available in another room
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »

What about wireless networking and a cordless phone?

CrustyNapkin

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »

If you are happy to run data cabling, you could run Cat 5e cable from your living room going to your bedroom (depending on the state of your DIY'ing you could hide this in the wall or lay some trunking). Terminate into RJ45 modules at each end, with one end plugged into your router and the other end into a small network switch, which your PC's will connect to.

tuk

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »

What about wireless networking and a cordless phone?

One of the PCs makes inbound/outbound phone calls via a software application which doesn't play well with wireless.
----

Rather than buying another master socket and wire to create a telephone extension, would these do the job just as well?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Data-Telephone-Doubler-Splitter/dp/B000WB9R3I
https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Data-Broadband-Cable-Router/dp/B00V5DMBMQ

Still looking for a solution to use only 1 adsl cable with 2 PC.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »

You keep talking about ADSL cables, but if your router is remaining by the master socket, it is Ethernet connections  you require not ADSL. Either run one CAT5 cable with an Ethernet switch at the PCs end or 2 Cat5 cables.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »

Re-reading your original post, as you need both phone and 2 PCs just extend the phone socket with a length of cw1308 and new master socket and put the router in the bedroom.

tuk

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »

Re-reading your original post, as you need both phone and 2 PCs just extend the phone socket with a length of cw1308 and new master socket and put the router in the bedroom.

Rather than a new master socket, would this work in the same way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SUMFDX4
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000934FH/

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »

Not sure why you are so averse to providing another socket, but yes you could use the extension cable and splitter assuming you intend to move your router.

tuk

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »

Not sure why you are so averse to providing another socket,

It's more expensive and more time to install ...& as I said in the OP it's just a temporary solution.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

(a) I doubt it would be more expensive.

(b) I won't take any longer to install, if you are happy to have an extension lead trailing about you must be happy to have a length of cable trailing about.

(c) No doubt you are spending £100s/£1000s on the house yet are worried about 5 bob for an extension socket.

tuk

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »

(a) I doubt it would be more expensive.

(b) I won't take any longer to install, if you are happy to have an extension lead trailing about you must be happy to have a length of cable trailing about.

(c) No doubt you are spending £100s/£1000s on the house yet are worried about 5 bob for an extension socket.

(a) You can doubt what you like, but I've already priced both options.

(b) 2 x wiring MS vs plug and play? ....It's pretty obvious which is the quickest to install!!!!!

(c) I'm not worried about 5 bob, I just don't see the sense in spending more money for a solution that requires more time to implement ...why do A when B is quicker and cheaper & B does exactly the same thing as A!  ....simple logic, KISS!
----

I think you need to go back and read the requirements in the OP.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »

The modem/router being on the end of a cheap telephone extension cable may well adversely affect the speed that the modem connects at.

I don't really see why any software application should not "play well" with wireless, most software would be unaware of whether the connection was wired or wireless. With ADSL line speeds, it's not too difficult for the wireless to be sufficiently fast for it to not be the limiting factor on the speed.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »

Rather than a new master socket, would this work in the same way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SUMFDX4
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000934FH/

Just seen this - that solution would be very likely to have a significantly detrimental affect on your broadband speed as it doesn't look to be twisted pair.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything