Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Round My Way  (Read 3350 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
BT Round My Way
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »

Attached two pics of recent work around here. First shows the PCP has gained a Pod and second shows the new DSLAM that has been recently installed.

Is the old DSLAM an ECI and the new a Huawei?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:06:40 PM by stevebrass »
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: BT Round My Way
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

yup!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:07:55 AM »

It's exactly that. It's exactly what happened at my ECI cabinet. The "pod" on the PCP is for the tie cables for the shiny new 288 line Huawei DSLAM. In the past your PCP would have got a 2nd ECI cabinet but OpenReach are no longer deploying ECI cabinets. I managed to get my line moved over to the new Huawei.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »

And still John has not seen any G.INP on his line since the move from ECI to Huawei cabinet and the errored seconds tell us he needs G.INP,  it is almost like his circuit still thinks it's connected to the ECI cabinet without any DLM being present very odd indeed.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

it is almost like his circuit still thinks it's connected to the ECI cabinet without any DLM being present very odd indeed.

Good idea that. Certainly plausible that DLM works in such a way that this data sticks, or worse, it cannot distinguish between the two.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »

Isn't the DLM in the cabinet though?

I've still no idea if my new Huawei cabinet is live. 
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_system.htm

The DSLAM holds your line profile, and the sync process works to those settings. It also holds the statistics, in the same way we see in the modem.

Outside the DSLAM will be a part of the OSS system (operation support system) called an element manager. It knows how to write line profiles into the DSLAM (probably a MIB using SNMP) and how to read the statistics. This element manager is remote, but I don't know how many there will be across the country.

DLM is also a centralised process, running in a "RAMBO" box. It analyses the statistics pulled by the element manager, and follows its rules on adapting your line profile ... writing a change back via the element manager.

Nowadays, DLM will also extract that CPE information to place limitations on the allowable line profiles - almost certainly via the element manager too. We don't know how it extracts DSLAM limitation data though ... and I'm prepared to believe it wasn't coded to cope with a PCP with multiple DSLAM types.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »

Thanks wwwombat, I can now see what you mean.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »

DLM is also a centralised process, running in a "RAMBO" box. It analyses the statistics pulled by the element manager, and follows its rules on adapting your line profile ... writing a change back via the element manager.

Nowadays, DLM will also extract that CPE information to place limitations on the allowable line profiles - almost certainly via the element manager too. We don't know how it extracts DSLAM limitation data though ... and I'm prepared to believe it wasn't coded to cope with a PCP with multiple DSLAM types.

I doubt DLM would have any visibility of what PCP any line is connected to, nor would it care. It would almost certainly only be aware of DSLAMs. There is no value to the DLM system having any visibility of the PCP a line is connected to. It would certainly have an ID for every circuit it uses along with an ID for each DSLAM, in the case of here there are 2 DSLAMs so their IDs are painted on them.

I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't see any value at all in either the FTTC element manager or DLM caring about which PCP DSLAMs are connected to; there should be other databases for the copper side and a primary key ID across both for each circuit.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »

Just wondering if a DLM reset on Johns circuit would be beneficial to recalibrate the circuit to that of a Huawei MSAN but John maybe happy in this current state where the DLM ignores his line  :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:45:53 PM by NewtronStar »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18678.msg345385.html#msg345385

If the provisioning is still not complete for whatever reason that explains it. DLM isn't aware the line is active so isn't monitoring it.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »

Well there you go then the answer to the odd DLM behavior :giggle:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 12:42:51 AM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18678.msg345385.html#msg345385

If the provisioning is still not complete for whatever reason that explains it. DLM isn't aware the line is active so isn't monitoring it.

I, too, had forgotten about that post.  :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »

I doubt DLM would have any visibility of what PCP any line is connected to, nor would it care.

I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't see any value at all in [...]

I write software, and see both the limitations and faults that get written in. And I get to write code that is forced to interface to legacy systems, so I know how limitations get forced on you sometimes (*).

I agree that DLM shouldn't need to know anything about the PCP to do its job. But I can certainly see a way that it could end up in the code in a less-than-ideal world.

(*) Never underestimate the havoc that can be wrought by a software engineer armed only with a keyboard and an old API

anything